Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any available tablets running Windows? Not laptop tablets but pad or slate tablets, like iPad and Galaxy Tab. Must be running Windows O/S (don't ask...just does...:D).

I know of a few upcoming models but they aren't available yet. The only one I've found, and I'm not even sure about that, is the Archos 9 running Windows 7 but it hasn't received the greatest reviews.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Exopc?

from the page

The ExoPC Slate is a powerful Windows 7 computer with a multi-touch interface that allows you to browse the web, play games, watch TV and movies, listen to music, read the news, read books and magazines, organize your photos, download apps, view RSS feeds, access real-time weather, create and edit spreadsheets, author documents, and much more!
$650 in Canada

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looks promising but I can't tell if it's available now, one site says "preorder" the other doesn't. I'll have to call them later this morning.

·
Registered
556 Posts
That really does look promising. It's about twice the weight of an iPad, but it looks worth it. A little pricey for the 64gb version. I'll need to see more reviews before it comes under consideration.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I followed it with interest for awhile. Obviously, because of the OS, battery life is an issue compared to other tablets (maybe not so much an issue compared to netbooks) and it also got subpar reviews on its screen although in fairness most users on the forum of the site were pretty happy with the screen.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did contact the store in Quebec and they have the 32GB Wi-Fi model in stock. If the bosses at work want to try one, I'll be testing it. I'll report back here if we do.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
My favourite is the Asus convertible touch netbook/tablet. The screen flips to convert it from a regular netbook with keyboard to a touch pad.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The Dell 'Duo' hybrid tablet looks like a better design than the Asus.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been put on the list to receive the new HP Slate when it comes out here (this month I think).

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I ordered 2 of those (from somewhere else) for work yesterday.

Funny, I seem to remember HP announcing the Slate was going to have the PalmOS installed. :confused: Oh well, they're Win7 now and I'll be testing at least one of them.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It's the HP TouchPad, announced in January, that will have WebOS. The Slate, announced in January 2010, has Windows.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The Dell 'Duo' hybrid tablet looks like a better design than the Asus.
Ordered one of these from the Dell US store @ Christmas and got it about a month ago (though it's now in Canada). Runs Windows 7. So far, I'm liking it a lot, although I'm tending to use it more as a netbook than tablet, mainly because the touchpad keyboard is a bit unwieldly and the windows-based browsers aren't as advanced when it comes to touchscreens (although I installed Firefox 4 last week and it's a definite improvement).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts