Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR (or another networked AVR's: Pioneer, Denon) and I'm getting my head around controlling the AVR and using my audio library in the second zone?

AVR will be wired to router along with PS3, Win 7 PC and possibly a Boxee if needed. Also have the option of plugging in NAS or USB drive directly into AVR. The AVR will have the PS3 and BEV 9200 HDMI connected (plus Boxee should I purchase).

Ideally I'd like to have a tablet that allows me to control the AVR and flip through my music library similar to an 'iTunes' experience (album art, playlists, genius dj). In addition to my library, there is HD radio and Sirius on the AVR, Galaxy on my Bell Sat Receiver, and online services via PC or Boxee type device.

I don't have a tablet yet and am neither for or against Apple products. Only mention Apple because the Yamaha has an 'iOS' app for it.

My audio library is at a min 256 vbr but mostly uncompressed so maintaining audio quality is important. I won't mind converting all audio to a supported codec if I have to.

By getting my head around the challenge, I'm not clear on how I will access the library? Assuming I go Yamaha and iPad, it will simply be the Yamaha app and then iTunes accessing the music from networked storage? Are there other options that give a similar, clean experience (Android tablet, PC)?

Looking at the Yamaha iApp, it's not that great in terms of control. Pioneer has done a better job with the app, but all 3 companies have web based controls which appear better (can't find good video demo of them).

Appreciate any feedback and will reply back with additional info.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've taken a look at the manufacturer iAppz and web control interfaces and the Pioneer is probably the better design and common function set of the iAppz while the web controls are pretty primitive in their design but pack a lot of function (probably too much).

Sonos does a pretty nice job but I don't need to buy into a wireless system.

If I do take the hit and pay the Apple hardware (iTouch or iPad) premium, what source would the AVR use to play the audio? Could it be a USB drive plugged into the AVR or NAS? Or does it need to be another PC running iTunes (established library)?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I use an iPad to control iTunes and Sonos. Works great and I love it.

AVR control is different. No experience with the apps in question, but another device to consider is RedEye which can send IR to various HT components from anywhere that you have Wifi in your house.

Redeye app, however, is not without issues. See other thread around here for Redeye discussion.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Hugh.

Here's a question: If I'm using an iPad/iTunes that is using music off a usb drive that is plugged into the receiver, is the music actually transfered to the iPad and then to the AVR?

I'm trying to figure out how to browse music library similar to iTunes or Sonos but making sure the lossless audio files are going through the AVR dac's (try to get best audio quality).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I broke my task down to a more basic question on how to get max AQ over at AA forum:

I'm looking at a upgrading AVR to one of the current mid-upper networked AVR's from Denon, Pioneer, or Yamaha but I'm trying to understand the path of a lossless audio file when I'm using a tablet across wifi to control the music library.

My assumption is that I want to get the lossless file to the AVR digitally (untouched) so the better dac's can do their work.

Are all digital storage and paths created equal?

My scenario:
I will be able to connect all devices to a gigaswitch, and remote connectivity is 802.1n. The current devices are: AVR, PS3, PC

Connected via HDMI to the AVR are PS3, Bev Sat HDPVR

All my equipment is in a media closet (basement) in our HT room. I will be putting one or two sets of stereo speakers on the main floor for the second zone

My question:

I want to be able to use a tablet to control the AVR and music library. I've seen the manufacturer appz for iPad's and web control but I don't know which solution is best for using music library?

If I use iTunes, for example, off of an iPad and it is connected to the files on the PC via DNLA, when I play a track -> what path does that file take to get to my speakers?

Bottom line question is how do I get the best AQ out of the AVR when controlling music library through tablet but still have a 'rich' experience (browsing album art, animated scroll, blah blah blah)?

Can it be done with what I have an software?
USB connected drive to AVR?
Do I have to spend money on hardware like Sonos?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts