Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Anyone else out there with TELUSTV? I'd love to hear from you and your unbiased thoughts on the service.

Darrell

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I didn't think Telus was offering television service yet? Do you have it? If so, what city?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Telus TV in Edmonton for selected employees

I don't have it but a friend does as his wife works for Telus (Edmonton). Only telus employees were offered access to it. I know someone else who's girlfriend works for telus and they weren't able to get it. They were not sure why?
Anyway, my friends experience with it was positive. They went from 'peasant' vision to many channels, so a bit of shock. Right now, employees are not paying for the service ( at least the basic service , I think they have to pay for VOD ). Supposedly, come the summer, they will have to pay to continue to use it and this is supposedly when Telus will offer this to the public. Have not heard a thing about that so who knows for sure. My friend said that when they start to pay for it, it won't be that bad as programs come into a variety of packages. The ones they watch were only in 2 or 3 packages that they would purchase.

I have shaw cable and when I was over at their house, I checked out the service. I noticed that there were a couple of more channels than what shaw had plus they had Canadian timeshifts in addition to the American ones. The VOD seemed like they had quite a bit of content but i'm not a VOD person so Its difficult to compare with SHAW. When I was flipping Channels, I would get the odd outage explaining the picture would be back right away.

I am surprised that there seems to be little information out there about TELUS TV. I hope they start up this summer or fall. Any competition with SHAW can only be good for all of us.

·
Registered
222 Posts
......am i right in assuming Telus would not have a big enough pipe for HD?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I think Telus is talking ADSL2+ using fibre to the curb (or close by) with MPEG4 part 2 and part 10, and WM9 codec. Wow! Almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about! I don't! Pretty sure about the ADSL2+ though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
...any further rumors/updates on what the status is for rollout?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Wake me up when someone offers VDSL. It's gotta be HD TV, if you want to dance with me. :)

Actually, I find it a bit discouraging that these new alternative to cable ideas are being deployed without HD in mind. It makes it that much harder to convert people.

Gary

·
Registered
222 Posts
....don't some of the 'sub VDSL' protocols, like ADSL2+ allow for HD transmission since the basic premise of this sort of AV delivery is 'one channel at a time'...so an HD channel could use up most of pipe on it's own?......i'm probably completely out in left field on this, maybe i should research this a bit more :). I may still try it out just for sh*ts&giggles, HD or no.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Everything I've read on the subject indicates ADSL2+ and the STB technology can handle HDTV and more. The issue will be if you have more than 2 tv sets in the house. Even if Telus doesn't roll out HDTV right away, I suspect they'll bundle like SaskTel and MTS offering way more content than Shaw. So then it comes down to PQ and 5.1 sound. I could live without HD in the short term if the quality, quantity and price was superior to Shaw or satellite.

·
Registered
222 Posts
.....yeh that's what i gathered from my limited understanding of adsl2+ etc. I would try it in tandem w/ shaw, since the bulk of shaws service is incorporated in my condo-fees.
I've heard rumors that Telus was laying fiber in Calgary like there's no tomorrow....not sure what neighborhoods.....maybe it's related to Telus-TV rollout.
On another note, i wonder what Bell's plans are for expanding Expressvu-VDSL into Alberta??

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Telus is laying fibre in a lot of areas from what I've heard. At another corporate site with one of their technology partners the amount of $1B was bandied about. I believe Telus may be linking themselves to Express-Vu, but I can't remember where I heard or saw that or if I was just dreaming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TelusTV

I have it as a beta tester. Awesome speed, service - I'd take it over Shaw any day. Then again, the minimal bandwidth proclaims itself in picture quality...

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Starcreator, welcome to DHC. Can you tell us a bit more about your beta testing? For example what do you mean with your picture quality comment? Is the PQ worse than analogue, better than analogue, equivalent to digital channles (like Shaw's 118 for example)? Do you have an HDTV or analogue tv? Widescreen or Standard? Are there Canadian as well as U.S. timeshifts? How many t.v.'s might you have?

Thanks a bunch. Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Starcreator said:
I have it as a beta tester. Awesome speed, service - I'd take it over Shaw any day. Then again, the minimal bandwidth proclaims itself in picture quality...
I don't know about that. Video on Demand, and shows like Stargate Atlantis (space) look fantastic, so I think it may be the feed. Of course, the technicians who hooked me up told me that I've got a fiber link from my building to the Telus CO. So bandwidth isn't a problem.

No HD and no PVR yet.

This is the box that I have:
http://www.thomson.net/NR/rdonlyres/6BAA5C24-3057-48F8-B8A1-8185E3612C2D/0/IP1000.pdf

The new one MIGHT be something like this (just guessing):
http://www.thomson.net/EN/Home/MiniSites/BAP/Telecom/ModelDetail.html?category=IP Video Solution&model=IP1100

It supports HDTV, PVR and VC-1 (same as xbox360 video).

·
Registered
2 Posts
BSmithern said:
Starcreator,

But no HD or PVR though right?
Not yet, but I hear it's on its way.

Nanuuk said:
Starcreator, welcome to DHC. Can you tell us a bit more about your beta testing? For example what do you mean with your picture quality comment? Is the PQ worse than analogue, better than analogue, equivalent to digital channles (like Shaw's 118 for example)? Do you have an HDTV or analogue tv? Widescreen or Standard? Are there Canadian as well as U.S. timeshifts? How many t.v.'s might you have?

Thanks a bunch. Inquiring minds want to know!
It's certainly digital, but it's not HDTV. It's better than Shaw analogue and and equivalent to Shaw's digital. Standard 4:3, no widescreen. Both Canadian and US timeshifts. You can only have 2 TVs for the time being.

groucho said:
This is the box that I have:
http://www.thomson.net/NR/rdonlyres/...D/0/IP1000.pdf

The new one MIGHT be something like this (just guessing):
http://www.thomson.net/EN/Home/MiniS...n&model=IP1100
I have the top one as well, but I'm not sure what the next box will be. We had an old box before the one on top which allowed for TV internet/e-mail access, but they changed it across the board.

TELUSTV is public now, so for anyone just wondering, go out and get it. There are some great deals for new customers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts