Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Regional repeater DTV applications to come

CKRT in Rivière-du-Loup, Que., says in intends to file DTV applications for ALL its rebroadcasting transmitters within weeks.
They are CKRT-TV-1 Baie-Saint-Paul (channel 13), CKRT-TV-2 Dégelis (channel 2), CKRT-TV-3 Rivière-du-Loup-Portage (channel 13), CKRT-TV-4 Cabano (channel 5), CKRT-TV-5 St-Urbain (channel 10) and CKRT-TV-6 Trois-Pistoles (channel 5).
These are all currently low-power analog operations, with ERPs ranging from 6 to 50 watts.
The station, which is an affiliate of Radio-Canada, makes the statement in the cover letter for its DTV applications for the main transmitter in Rivière-du-Loup.
To my knowledge, these would be among the first such applications in Canada — if not the first.
Full documents here:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-225.htm#1

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Wrong interpretation:
Terrestrial BDUs = Cable and phone companies... i.e. Not Bell Satellite or Shaw Direct satellite.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Télé-Québec call for tenders: DTV transmitters

A member in the French section of the forum reports the Quebec government has put to tender contracts to purchase and install DTV transmitters for Télé-Québec.
Original thread is here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125085
The original post contains lots of technical data of interest to OTA enthusiasts. Should be easy to understand even if you don't read French. (p.s. The wattage listed there is for the transmitter output, not the ERP.)

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
A member in the French section of the forum reports the Quebec government has put to tender contracts to purchase and install DTV transmitters for Télé-Québec.
The interesting thing is that the installation dates are all prior to August 31, 2011. I wonder if they have assurances that they will be allowed to flash cut early? This is probably the most compelling evidence that early flash cutting will be allowed, but I haven't heard anything official from either IC or the CRTC. Alternately, they could be installing the equipment early not turning it on until September 1.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
If you look at Télé-Québec's submissions to the CRTC, they spleed out their transition timetable. IIRC, the transition was spread out between July and September 2011. The post-transtion installation were due to the fact that I believe the Estrie transmitter was supposed to get the transitional equipment from Montreal. Not sure if that is still true, if the tender documents specify a new transmitter for CIVS in the Estrie.

·
Registered
295 Posts
tvlurker, if the Estrie gets the transitional equipment from Montreal, then Montreal will get post-transitional DTV equipment that will have to be installed somewhere. Is there any information at which location this post-transitional equipment will be installed (Mont-Royal or current tower of Olympic Stadium)? The coordinates posted yesterday by TQ are still at the Olympic tower.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
According to the original post, the new Montreal equipment for TQ must be able to operate under current license conditions and be able to switch to higher-power operation after Aug. 30, 2011. And though it is not a certainty, it looks more and more likely TQ wants to keep its transmitter on the Olympic Tower.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-319.9 it says:

Rogers also requests authority to cease operation of its analog transmitter CHNM-TV-1 Victoria upon commencement of digital transmission on channel 29, which Rogers expects to occur two months from Commission approval.
This is the first application I have seen for an analog station to shut down early. It will be interesting to see what the CRTC says about this and if other stations across the country will follow.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
More on Télé-Québec

Upon examining Télé-Québec's documents from a previous licence renewal, I can report a couple of tidbits of interesting information.
• Télé-Québec will retain all its existing transmitter sites for DTV.
CIVS-PT Sherbrooke will require the use of half of CIVM-TV Montreal's analog transmitter plus an ATSC exciter. Because CIVM-TV will be on the air until the transition date, it's expected CIVS-PT will come online in mid-September 2011.
CIVB-PT Rimouski's transmitter plant will come from CIVQ-DT (transitional) Québec. As this transmitter can't be moved before the end of the transition period, it's expected CIVB-PT will come online in mid-September 2011.
CIVO-PT Gatineau will make use of the backup analog transmitter for CIVM Montreal, which will be converted for ATSC transmissions.
CIVC-PT Trois-Rivières will make use of the backup analog transmitter for CIVQ Québec, which will be converted for ATSC transmissions.

·
Registered
295 Posts
• Télé-Québec will retain all its existing transmitter sites for DTV.
Does this mean that the current analog transmitter sites will be retained for digital transmission, or does it mean that the transmitter sites currently used for DTV will be retained?

For Montreal: will CIVM-DT stay on the Olympic Stadium tower or (hopefully) move to Mont Royal? If Télé-Québec decides to stay at the Olympic Stadium, will there be another CRTC hearing for people to voice concerns with this transmitter location?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Télé-Québec will convert all its transmitter sites to DTV.
However, I don't know whether there will be another hearing to allow people to voice concerns about their Montreal transmitter location.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
However, I don't know whether there will be another hearing to allow people to voice concerns about their Montreal transmitter location.
They will need to apply for a change to their license to modify their operating parameters post transition. An intervention could be filed at that time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts