Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend moved and I am trying to help them set up their old equipment at the new house and seem to be running into problems. I will explain the equipment and the issues:

Receiver: Sony STR-DE545
Speakers: Bose (4 bookshelfs and a centre channel), Polk Subwoofer
TV: Visio 46 inch
Satellite: Bell HD

So I connected the satellite, XBOX, and dvd to the tv and then used the audio out from the tv to the stereo. With my system I wire everything to the receiver however theirs has no HDMI jacks and I just thought this would be easier. When I try to use the system, I get really decent sound out of the centre channel and the subwoofer. However I get only a tiny whisper (barely audible) from the left/right and the surround left. The right surround doesn't even have anything coming out of it.

I checked all the wires and ensured that nothing has been wired out of phase. Every speaker wire is going into the correct spearker jack on the receiver. I have also tried to switch the speakers to the 'B' jacks with no luck. I have played around with the audio settings on the receiver. It's not a matter of boosting or lowering the level of anything. And when I put it on 2ch stereo, all I get is the whispering left/right.

Its funny because they said that they were never able to get the centre channel to work and used to only use the left/right speakers. Now we have the opposite problem.

If anyone has any suggestions that would help me get my friends system working I would be totally appreciative.

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
wired out of phase
By that you mean reversed? I would check again. I would also swap a working speaker cable with one that is not. See if the low volume follows. Also, use the FM tuner to rule out any audio input issues. By default with the FM signal you should get the Left and Right front speakers working.

If your TV audio output is variable then the sound level will be a function of the TV volume. Try turning up the TV.

·
Registered
116 Posts
looking at the pictures of the AVR on-line, you should be able to connect the audio connections for the Xbox, DVD, and STB to the AVR and have the vidoe routed directly to the TV. It looks like there are 2 avaialbe Toslink inputs on the back of the AVR. You can use these for two of the components your friend has. you should be able to connect the third component to the Aux audio in. He'd have to decide which source he wants to to use the Toslink and which one for the RCA. He should be able to get 5.1 out of the toslink connection and 2-channel from the RCA. that's how I would connect it to the AVR. Hopefully this works for you.

PS. Hopefully I'm looking at the right diagram of the AVR on-line

·
Registered
233 Posts
cooper, as blue11 has mentioned, you should connect the AUDIO for satelite, dvd, and xbox by using toslink/optical and digital coax to the receiver. Three available based on this pic: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/strde545front.pdf

Connect VIDEO from the three sources directly to TV if there's enough inputs.

I would disagree with blue11 in that the digital coax can also handle 5.1 (or more) but ensure that you use, at the minimum, a thick "video cable" if you're not buying something labeled as digital coax.

That's it, enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts