Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired an iPhone 5S and I would like to synch my contacts list from Outlook for Mac 2011 to the phone. My phone is connected to the computer via USB cable and the phone comes up fine in iTunes, showing basic information, etc.

I have gone into iTunes, selected "info" for the phone and "contacts", however, there is nothing to "grab" in the contacts window.

Some of the online help says it should work, but other people have stated that they couldn't get it to work either. I've also tried exporting my contacts to an .olm file and a .txt file, but iTunes didn't see those either.

I've been reading and trying for a couple of hours, but nothing works. Perhaps this is no longer possible as I've also read that on a number of searches.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
The *BEST* way to sync your contacts is to have them stored on a cloud based server ie: Outlook's Contacts folder on your outlook.com account, then you can set up a TRUE 2-way sync, from the following scenarios:

A) you will sync your outlook.com contacts to the outlook for mac 2011 program, but don't ask me how to do this as I am not familiar how to do this on the mac platform, I have only ever done this on windows.
B) you can then sync your outlook.com contacts to the contacts app on your new iPhone 5S, when you setup your outlook.com email account on your iPhone, you would toggle the contacts slider and it would automatically sync all your contacts from the cloud to your device.

if you make a change to a contact on your device, then A) the contact will change on your outlook.com' contacts folder automatically and instantaniously, and B) when you open outlook for Mac 2011, theoretically as long as its syncing the emails and contacts it should update your contact list automatically and your contacts will all be identical and any changes u made will flow to each device, this can only happen by over the air syncing and not by syncing using a cable or itunes,

·
Super Moderator
56,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Paolo, thank you for your post. Unfortunately, I would prefer to stay out of the cloud. So far I've managed to do that. Also, this doesn't look particularly simple to do - requiring quite a few steps, including setting up Outlook account on my phone, which I don't plan to do, preferring to simply use the Contacts app (unless I'm mis-reading what you're saying). In addition, I only use the inbox portion of Outlook for Mac to communicate with Yahoo to get my Rogers e-mails from their server (and leave them on the server as well, using POP. I hope this makes sense.

When I did my web-searching yesterday, I did find some "freeware" that allowed a "wired" connection, however, I would have preferred to stay away from "freeware".

Unless someone else posts an easier solution, I'll have to think about what I'll do...

PS. I do understand the benefits of using the cloud and having everything synch automatically, but so far I've preferred to have my devices "separate" and to stay out of the cloud.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Ok so your using Yahoo as your email provider? and Outlook as your email client? Yahoo email already has the cloud capabilities, its storing your email already on its "cloud" and its sending the emails to your device via pop3, might i suggest imap? imap is preferred if you are utilizing multiple email clients to retrieve messages from the same email server, and has better email handling for read messages than pop3 does. also since your already reading your emails off the "cloud" aka yahoo's email servers, yahoo stores your contacts online on the contacts folder of its email account, there really is no other easy way of doing this from what I can tell. not sure if its what your looking for, but the phones all have the capabilities of syncing contacts and emails thru this method and its the preferred method. if there is another way then i am not made aware of it, and it would have to be compatible across desktop platforms and mobile devices which also which could be a limiting factor. so good luck on finding a program or plugin to acomplish this

·
Super Moderator
56,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using IMAP means that there's no "offline" work, which is what I prefer. If I want to go "online" I use Webmail and my browser. Also, my contacts/calendar are not in the Yahoo server (cloud), only in Outlook for Mac.

Thanks again for the help.

PS. Again, I realize that many people prefer to have everything sync for all their devices via the cloud, in which case IMAP is used, however, I'm not there yet. I don't use the iPhone much (I'm on PAYGo with Rogers).

PPS. With all the time I've spent researching, I probably could have entered the contacts that I need in my iPhone ;) Although I do enjoy searching for solutions to an issue.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
No worries 57. I hope you find a solution to your question.

You seem like a light phone user, I am used to being around heavy phone users who rely on having everything at the tip of their fingers, their appointment calender, their work email, their personal email, access to their cloud storage drive, their contacts, etc. some people can not live without this stuff, so imagine how we did it back in the day when we did not have everything at our finger tips, we still survived.

What gets me is at least once a month, one of my friends or associates or colleagues, will reach out to me and say "Hey Guys, I Broke/Lost/Replaced my phone and NEED your contact info again" bla bla bla. its like in this day and age, we are so connected but people still do not know how to backup their most precious info and restore it to their new device? I recently got 2 new devices, one for me, one for the wife, and the first thing I did was setup our email accounts and let the address book, email and calenders re-sync to our new phones, it was quick and easy and I actually went up to a colleague of mine and told him I got a new phone, and he was about to give me his contact info, and I had to stop him and told him I do not need it because I did not misplace any ones info. and he said, "woah, you can do that? teach me?" so I will be showing him how to do it soon.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Before phones people used paper based organizers, often in the form of a binder. Think combination personal phone book, diary and notebook. They were a nuisance to maintain and often had to be rewritten due to unsightly changes. If you were important enough, you has a secretary that did the work. Then came the electronic organizer. Anyone remember the PalmPilot? The BlackBerry made those obsolete and the iPhone arrived soon after. I doubt any of those devices had an easy way to transfer contacts and other information.

Failing to make backups has always been an issue. At one time it was PCs that were not backed up. Now it's phones. The sad thing is that it's so much easier with phones but backups still don't get done. I back up my PC but not the phone. I've lost contacts that were backed up as well. They were on a disk with an incompatible disk format. Go figure. Don't have a clue how to transfer contacts either. I just type them in from scratch on each device.

·
Super Moderator
56,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After doing some more research, I found out that (apparently) you can sync Contacts with Outlook for Windows, but not Outlook for Mac. Yep, this is a strange world.

I then realized that I could probably sync with something "Apple Compatible" rather than a Microsoft product like Outlook.

So, I exported my contacts from Outlook in Tab-delimited text format, saving it on my desktop.
Opened the "Contacts" application on my Mac Mini computer (under Applications).
Imported that file, left the Contacts application open on my computer (not sure if this is necessary)
Started iTunes
Connected iPhone using USB
Opened the Phone in iTunes, selected "Info", then "Contacts" on the right side
Contacts were synched without issue.

I'm a happy camper. I have over 100 contacts with several lines of information for each contact built up and updated over probably 20 years. I certainly wouldn't have entered all that information manually, but since this was "very easy" once I found the way, I've now got all my contact information on my phone - phone numbers, addresses, e-mails, spouse/children info, etc. I'm going to bed now.

Hope that helps someone else.

·
Super Moderator
56,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have hundreds of bookmarks on my browsers and I wanted to sync these over to Safari on my iPhone. I ran into the same issues - you can do it "easily" via the cloud, but iTunes no longer does this. It only syncs contacts and calendars. So if you look for the instructions on the web, there are lots of posts on how to sync using iTunes, however, lots of that information is now out of date. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point everything must go through the cloud.

So, what did I do? Downloaded an application called AnyTrans. I checked to make sure it was legit, etc and it was. Worked easily, but it did "mess up" a couple of my bookmarks (lost in translation? ;) ), but the vast majority made it. Happy camper again.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I know you are an avid mac fan and user and love safari, but google chrome sync's its bookmarks across all your devices you wish to use it on. So if you have a desktop, tablet and smart phone, you can share your bookmarks automatically, yes it does use the cloud, and the only issue I have with this is I have some work-specific bookmarks to intranet sites that I do not want to share across my devices so I choose not to log in on my work pc, but at the end of the day I want my work bookmarks saved offline somehow incase i have to re-install the browser so in that case chrome has a good export/import function and I back it up to my network folder, but yeah nice find 57 and thanks for sharing

·
Super Moderator
56,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use three different browsers on my Mac, but recently mostly Chrome, previously FF. I tried exporting the Chrome bookmarks, saving as bookmarks.html, importing them into Safari and then tried iTunes, but that didn't work via USB.

AnyTrans will pick up bookmarks for the iPhone from Safari, Chrome or Firefox. The only reason I used Safari on my Mac is because I thought that might work with iTunes, but it didn't. After importing or moving, there always seem to be minor changes that I need to make to the bookmarks to make them look the same on all browsers.

I don't plan to do much browsing on the iPhone, but since Safari was already there, that's what I'll use. I'm not a f a n b o i of any particular browser, just whatever works and is fast. On my computer I have three different browsers that I use depending on the peculiarities of the websites I visit.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
That is cool. I am not a fan boy myself either and I have explored with many different browsers. I remember when all the craze was about mozilla firefox. It is actually a beautiful browser and works very well too. I have only used safari on my ipod and for what I needed it to do, it worked very well. My iPod is also very old so it can not run the latest browsers oh well. that sucks.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I prefer Opera on Android. It is Chrome based but has some nice extra features added. Don't know how it works on iOS though. Firefox has lost a lot of ground on Windows and was never any good on Android. It's requires too many CPU cycles and resources to work well on phone and table hardware. It taxes some PC hardware as well. Chrome is much better in that regard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts