Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I should have noticed this sooner...

We're currently being charged $59.90 for our Sympatico high speed. Just checked the service eligibility for our number and it looks like we could get Fibe 25 for $57.95 and Fibe 12 for $18 less than what we're paying now.

Besides the obvious money-grubbing answer, why didn't Bell advise their customers there were cheaper tiers available? I know, I know, I'm answering my own question here. :cool:

·
Registered
626 Posts
It may be cheaper for the speed you get but look at your bandwidth allowance, it is probably lower on the fibe plans. Of course, if you aren't using all your bandwidth allowance and the lower fibe allowance is still more than you would use per month then you will be ahead with a fibe plan.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Those of us (me!) on the old Sympatico High Speed service still have unlimited bandwidth. Everything else with Sympatico is capped.

By them raising the monthly rate they're trying to force the grandfathered users to the new product at which point they'll go to the CRTC and say "look, we have no more unlimited service so give us the green light to charge the DSL resellers out the wazoo."

·
Registered
181 Posts
In December '08 Bell, without my permission, took me off the grandfathered unlimited plan and REFUSED to put me back on.

I'm guessing they "switched" me off because I average 200 - 250 gigs a month and they didn't want me as a customer on the grandfathered plan.

They wouldn't budge ( I was a customer for 8 years) so I quit using them right then and there and switched to Teksavvy where I still enjoy unlimited internet access to this day.

Those of us (me!) on the old Sympatico High Speed service still have unlimited bandwidth. Everything else with Sympatico is capped.

By them raising the monthly rate they're trying to force the grandfathered users to the new product at which point they'll go to the CRTC and say "look, we have no more unlimited service so give us the green light to charge the DSL resellers out the wazoo."

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My usage has averaged around 4 GB per month. I'm considering moving to one of the Fibe services as it'll save me some money and I don't expect to use a whole lot more bandwidth than I do now.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My usage has averaged around 4 GB per month. I'm considering moving to one of the Fibe services as it'll save me some money and I don't expect to use a whole lot more bandwidth than I do now.
Make sure you RTFP (Read The Fine Print). Bell can't seem to post an honest price on the web. Even their mail ads to me have fine print ON THE BACK OF THE FLYER in semi-transparent type. Is the quote for Fibe the actual cost, or is it just the first 12 months (for which you have to sign a 2-year contract)? Is it the real rate, or only the bundled discount price if you also have your landline, cell, and TV with them? And don't forget about mandatory modem rental fees. Bell certainly won't when they bill you.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm fully aware of the tactics Bell uses. When I get a flyer in the mail (from any provider wanting my business not just Bell) the first thing I read is the fine print.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The Fib (not sp :)) flyers I get are typically Bell misleading. Besides just the name Fibe, which is obviously intended to make you think Fibre.

In a big font they advertise Fib as $32/month. This is the absolute lowest rate I can pay (before non-optional rentals) and with maximum bundling discounts, AND with a rate reduction for the first several months. For the service available in my neighborhood (which Bell keeps crippled, haven't done a thing here in decades).

The actual monthly rate before tax, after you go through all their famous tiny type (that I'm sure lots of older people can't read, and many *don't* read), is $56. Not such a good deal then, easy to match anywhere else. Bell advertises prices pretty much along the lines as used car dealers did (until this year).

Since I go through a Bell wholesaler already, I am NOT unconvinced Bell isn't purposely degrading my service in their stepped-up attempts to make me switch (the Fib notices started arriving at the exact same time my DSL service drastically deteriorated after years of being the same...). They have been using some pretty nasty (but "legal") tactics with their wholesalers IMO. These wholesalers are totally at Bell's mercy thanks to the CRTC, much worse than it was say 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
$56? For which Fib(e) service? That's only about $4 a month less than my uncapped, grandfathered High Speed Internet Service (which is around 5-6 Mbps down).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ Don't know, the ads are long tossed. Should get another soon, if I don't change providers. :) (They're already making the vast majority of what I pay the wholesaler.) Something like "5" as they sell it, whereas I know I can't even get 3 real here. With a worse SNRM than Bell deems the minimally acceptable even.

I guess caps are grandfathered for your contract duration (I don't have one now either), or until the rules get changed... Bell likes to change the rules themselves (via CRTC), then they can possibly change existing contracts with impunity (if they made that part of the deal).

·
Super Moderator
17,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ Yes, that rings a bell from the flyer. I was just stating the "actual"/undiscounted monthly rate. The $5/month discount for the first year of the contract is partly eaten up by the cost to "install" i.e. if you were wanting to change to this service, those who the ad is aimed at.

So if you're paying ~$56/month already and have none of the other Bell stuff, not much worth the effort IMO. I am paying ~$54/month for the same service (no caps, now) that includes home phone. I looked around and $56/month is a *really* common rate for that combo...not much real price competition.

What kind of amazes me is how well my technically very poor connection works. I am used to *very* low standards of performance around here though (cable/phone/DSL), so I don't really have a clue of what it *should* be like. :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
In terms of speed that's similar to what I currently have. I'm not a Bell TV subscriber so there goes one discount. I already have some Bell stuff bundled (homephone, wireless) so there goes the other discount.

My grandfathered, uncapped service is $59.90 a month before taxes. Fibe 6 would be $45.90. It's a tempting offer.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ You could save a few bucks a month overall. That $45.90 is for the first year only. Plus your installation charge, don't forget that...I always assume the rate reduction they give you for the first period is to help offset that. What was that installation charge anyway? It was enough that the "blended" 2-year rate was less than a buck diff (+/-) from what I already have (@~$54/month), I do remember that. IOW I actually did go through the first ad they mailed, it was borderline not-immediately-disposable like most of their ads are to me. Plus I don't have a contract with the devil...worth a buck a month (if I'm paying more) for that IMO.

·
Super Moderator
17,247 Posts
That $45.90 is for the first year only.
The $45.90 is after the first year.

Assuming you get no other discount, the first year price is $40.90.

If you're eligible for the Bell TV discount and the bundle discount the first year price would be as low as $30.90.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ I now think you are correct LOL. Unless I got a different offer. I probably misread that the $41.95 was *after* the maximum bundling discounts, instead of before. Sorry. :) Looks lots better now. I'll read their next mailing more carefully now, I am apt to quickly dispose of them just because they're from Bell...

(I was considering my "home phone" in their pricing and my comparison, because that is relevant to my current DSL since it requires a phone line, which is a separate highish cost if you don't have a phone line.)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Plus your installation charge, don't forget that...I always assume the rate reduction they give you for the first period is to help offset that. What was that installation charge anyway?
What installation charge? When I first got Sympatico High Speed in 2002 (using the Nortel modem!) it was all self-install. I would assume switching to Fibe would simply require swapping out the modem.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ Don't have the flyer, but there was one in the fine print, which I used in the calculation (even if I got the discounts wrong :)). Along with the non-optional monthly rental fee to provide me with the exact same modem I already have... Maybe I got a different offer than you guys, like I said my service here is pretty much 80s level, maybe they put local details in the fine print LOL. The "installation" fee may have had another name, I don't think it means somebody actually comes to your house. It's just an admin fee, everybody seems to have it, partly to help keep you from switching plans I guess too. For a new customer to the Bell system, somebody may have to physically do something though, but we all pay anyway, like for the modem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts