Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I've been helping my grandfather with email troubles lately and I've made a small mistake. Back in May, he received a new password which wasn't working with his account. He has Mac OS 10.5.6 which comes with the Mail application. Whenever we clicked "Get Mail" it would prompt us for the password. It turned out he had created a new account which would not connect while his old, working account would. I tried deleting the account that wasn't working, but I accidentally deleted the old account. My grandfather had messages saved from when he first got his computer and now all of those are lost. Is there a way I can access an online archive to download those messages again?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Unless Sympatico uses IMAP accounts, which I doubt, then the server will not have a copy of the mail. In that case it will be a POP3 account and depending on the settings, only the most recent mail will still be on the server.

Before you do anything else, here is some info that may help. The Mac stores all of its data for each mail account in the following directory:

~/Library/Mail/

'~' represents the home directory of the user that is logged in.

Each account has a directory that looks something like this:

[email protected]

'accountname' is the name of the mail user's account.
'POP3' could also be just POP.

Quit the Mail application. Look for a directory that has the account name for the mail account you deleted, not the new account that was created. If it is no longer there you are probably out of luck unless you have a back up somewhere else, for example a Time Machine backup or a backup to another disk.

If it is still there drag it out to the desktop. Now launch the Mail application and create a new account with the old account name and password. Quit the Mail application. If you navigate to the 'Mail' directory, as described above, you will see the account directory for the new account you just created. Drag that one to the trash but don't empty the trash.

Now make a copy of the account directory you originally dragged to the desktop, 'Command D'. Now drag the original account directory you dragged to the desktop back to the Mail directory, not the copy you just made. Launch the Mail application and see if the original mail is restored. If it is then it in now safe to delete the copy still sitting on the desktop and the one in the trash. If not I doubt there is much more you can do.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I believe you can also access Sympatico Mail via the Internet, so it may be possible to retrieve mail if the setings did not remove them from the Server.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yes, you can access Sympatico email via the web. You have to go through Windows Live to access it using your Sympatico email address and password as the log in info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts