Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have bell ,which I have had for many many years ,
I had canceled for a while and recently resigned on about three months ago.
my package just doesn't seem right , and getting the proper help from bell isn't all that easy .

I have a 9241 and 6100 ,
shaw sends me offers every other week to come back to cable ,
so before I call what can I expect for a trade in on my stuff ?
I try and watch most of my tv shows in HD so thats a must .
it's been so many years since I had shaw programing
I have shaw phone and internet now . I'm hoping thats going to get a better deal on trade in .
I also heard shaw was coming out with there pause in one room and resume in another some time in the near future but I can't remember which box it was going to roll out on.
any thoughts ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
regarding hd, the good thing about shaw is that they don't require you to buy the sd channel to get the hd channel. If you trading equipment i would demand they give you Motorola boxes, the paces boxes are known duds. check on shaws website, you will notice they have a lot less hd channels then bell. Although some of the hd channels on bell are redundant.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
And I would believe they would be giving you the Satellite swap promo so you will have to trade in your dish, 1 receiver and 1 card and in exchange would get an HD PVR and a SD terminal as well. Make sure you just trade in 1 receiver not both since we only require 1. (Trade in an SD one if you can and sell the other one if you'd like)

·
Registered
172 Posts
regarding hd, the good thing about shaw is that they don't require you to buy the sd channel to get the hd channel.
Are you sure this is true? As far as I am aware, if an SD channel exists for the HD equivalent, you are required to get the SD channel due to CRTC regulations. The only channels I have seen that this does not exist for is Equator HD, Oasis HD, etc where there is no SD equivalent?

·
Registered
169 Posts
You certainly don't have to subscribe to Tier 1, 2 and 3 or Timeshift Standard Definition Channels to receive their High Definition counterparts. So, in some cases you get the SD channel and in others you don't have to. My partial lineup is as follows:

High Def. Chnl. .......... Standard Def. Chnl.
200 ABC Seattle ........... 47 Basic Cable
201 CBS Seattle ........... 49 Basic Cable
202 NBC Seattle ........... 46 Basic Cable
203 FOX Seattle ........... 15 Tier One (not subscribed)
204 PBS Seattle ........... 48 Basic Cable
205 ABC Detroit ........... 85 Timeshift (not subscribed)
206 CBS Detroit ........... 86 Timeshift (not subscribed)
207 NBC Detroit ........... 84 Timeshift (not subscribed)
208 FOX Rochester ......... 83 Timeshift (not subscribed)
209 CBC Vancouver ......... 03 Basic Cable
210 CTV Toronto ........... 74 Timeshift (not subscribed)
212 FRAME ................ 165 Digital TV
213 OMNI BC ............... 10 Basic Cable
214 CITY Vancouver ........ 13 Basic Cable
215 CNN ................... 17 Tier One (not subscribed)
etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shaw does not have the linkage policy. You may receive the HD Channels without subscribing to the standard channels

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vader i have the hd plus package and get all the hd channels. I do not have the three tiers, where many of the sd channels of the same HD channels are, for example A&E and discovery.

·
Super Moderator
16,862 Posts
@mike70sk, you are correct except that Discovery Canada (SD) and Discovery World HD are 2 different channels with completely different schedules.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
No, Mike is correct. With HD Plus you have a choice of "Digital TV" or "Digital Basic". Digital Basic ($36.95) does not include the SD channels as Mike mentioned.

·
Registered
172 Posts
WOW, that is an outstanding deal... Now time to go negotiate with my provider to see if they can meet Shaw's deal :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts