Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
21,239 Posts
It is likely possible to use Optik TV with SageTV, but a single Telus PVR will allow you to record up to 4 channels simultaneously and play them on any TV in the home. Each TV will require a Telus STB. Telus is offering free PVR rental for 3 years with a 3 year contract. The Telus PVR is probably a cheaper, simpler and more reliable solution.

If you still want to pursue an HTPC solution, I can answer some of your questions.

You cannot change the remote codes on the Telus STBs. You would need a IR blaster for each STB and probably have to cover the front of each STB with a tin-foil "tent" to prevent stray signals from affecting other STBs.

The STBs have HDMI, component, S-Video, optical, coax outputs as well as 2 x (composite and analog audio) .

The Telus boxes have auto-sleep. Someone on the Sage forums has written a STBKeepAlive utility to send scheduled USB-UIRT IR commands. The utility was written for VIP1200s on AT&T U-verse. AT&T also uses Mediaroom and the Telus Cisco STBs are compatible with the VIP1200s.

· Super Moderator
21,239 Posts
I noticed this recent addition to the Sage software:

SageTV V7.0.16 Beta 9/2/2010

"Added property "irtune_prefix_extra_delay" which can be set on the server to indicate the delay that should occur after sending the prefix command for a channel change but before the actual channel digits. Useful for waking up sleeping set-top-boxes before a channel change is done."

You could use the Optik PVR for your day-to-day use and keep your HTPC to record those programs you want DRM-free. One STB would probably handle that.

I personally just watch and erase, so DRM doesn't affect me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.