Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of switching to Optik TV and have some questions about the hardware.

I currently have my own PVR system that uses Bell stb's to feed it. All my current stb's are in a central room and are controlled via USB IR transmitter connected to my SageTV server. I would probably need 3 or 4 HD boxes and am concerned about controlling the Telus boxes. My bell boxes have an assignable remote code, are the Telus boxes capable of change remote codes?

What connections are on the back of the boxes? I have two Hauppauge HD-PVR's that use Component (RGB) and optical (SPDIF) and a PVR-500 that uses S-Video/Composite (x2)

Do the Telus boxes have an auto sleep mode? If so can this sleep mode be disabled?

I have been thinking of switching to Telus for a little while, but have always held off because of the hardware switch out, but with the Sportsnet One debacle I may be required to switch.

·
Super Moderator
17,186 Posts
It is likely possible to use Optik TV with SageTV, but a single Telus PVR will allow you to record up to 4 channels simultaneously and play them on any TV in the home. Each TV will require a Telus STB. Telus is offering free PVR rental for 3 years with a 3 year contract. The Telus PVR is probably a cheaper, simpler and more reliable solution.

If you still want to pursue an HTPC solution, I can answer some of your questions.

You cannot change the remote codes on the Telus STBs. You would need a IR blaster for each STB and probably have to cover the front of each STB with a tin-foil "tent" to prevent stray signals from affecting other STBs.

The STBs have HDMI, component, S-Video, optical, coax outputs as well as 2 x (composite and analog audio) .

The Telus boxes have auto-sleep. Someone on the Sage forums has written a STBKeepAlive utility to send scheduled USB-UIRT IR commands. The utility was written for VIP1200s on AT&T U-verse. AT&T also uses Mediaroom and the Telus Cisco STBs are compatible with the VIP1200s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answers Dr. Dave. I was afraid those would be the answers to the questions. Makes things a little more difficult, but not impossible.

If something like Telus TV had been around a few years ago I probably would have used it. I have been a Sage user for too long and have become way too accustomed to the conveniences it offers. I have been using a central PVR now for 4+ years and the DRM free recordings make it tough to move away.

·
Super Moderator
17,186 Posts
I noticed this recent addition to the Sage software:

SageTV V7.0.16 Beta 9/2/2010

"Added property "irtune_prefix_extra_delay" which can be set on the server to indicate the delay that should occur after sending the prefix command for a channel change but before the actual channel digits. Useful for waking up sleeping set-top-boxes before a channel change is done."

You could use the Optik PVR for your day-to-day use and keep your HTPC to record those programs you want DRM-free. One STB would probably handle that.

I personally just watch and erase, so DRM doesn't affect me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip. Missed that in the beta notes.

I'll keep my recordings all in one box. Its too easy right now with only one box sitting at each TV, WAF is too high to mess with too many things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts