Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found I book from the library that I want to borrow. It is available in an epub file format but when I check it out it shows up on my mac as an acsm file which my Kobo reader does not recognize. What gives?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
.acsm is the signature file for ePubs, it is not the book itself. Whatever ePub management software you've installed (eg. Adobe Digital Edition) will handle the download. Double click the .acsm file, it should open ADE which will then download the actual ebook.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Do you have adobe digital editions installed?

The acsm file is what should cause ADE to open and download the DRM protected epub to your computer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
File types for Kobo

I just got my Kobo Touch, and one of the reasons I purchase it is because it is supposed to be compatible with RTF files. I have hundreds of RTF book files from Project Gutenberg, Baen, Sherlockian, etc. It turns out < 50% of them will open on the Kobo. Is this common? Is there something in certain RTF files that keeps the Kobo from opening them, or is it something missing from some files, or something else all-together?:confused:

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
^^^^
As I understand it, there are a few variations on RTF. I don't know about the situation with those books though. One thing you might try is to open the books with OpenOffice or LibreOffice and export to PDF. There is also an add-in for those which will allow you to export to epub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts