Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a D9445GLCF Intel (Atom) MOBO.

I intend to build my own case.

I just need a power switch. How do I make a switch ? What exactly do I have to buy ?

I don't have any used pc's to cannibalise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Call (i.e. Google search) Active Surplus on Queen St in Toronto. They have all kinds parts for all kinds of things.

·
Registered
863 Posts
There's a hard power switch (that disconnects the power) on the power supply and a soft power switch (pushbutton) on the front of the computer. Almost any normally open, momentary contact switch will do. You'll also need the connector (2x10 pins) to plug into the MB. Your MB manual will show the connector and pinout. Any real computer store should have a scrap case for cheap to salvage the wire harness. There's other stuff -- LEDs, reset switch, and PC speaker on the connector.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
For a switch, you only need to understand how it works.
On the mobo there are two pins for the power switch (+ and -)
When you press the button, these two pins get shorted for that short time period, starting up the motherboard. (You can start it without a button by just touching the two pins with, say, a screwdriver--connecting the circuit for a split second.

So all you need are two wires (one on each pin) leading to a switch or button that must be held down to remain active. Tap the button once, the circuit is completed and broken immediately after, and your computer starts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts