Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Sw44 and two dual PVRs - one with one feed?

14K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Pinza 
#1 ·
Been a while since I dealt with satellite stuff. It's gotten way more complex. My parents had a dual tuner HD PVR and an old SD receiver with no PVR. They got a new HD PVR for Christmas. However, the original bell install only fed one line to the basement where the SD receiver was and obviously 2 to the HD upstairs. We tried replacing the one downstairs - and obviously it's dual tuner, but I just figured with one cable - we'd only get one tuner. (Searching here seems to agree with that.) However... things don't work right. I checked and there's two LNBs and an SW44 - for inputs, 3 lines into the house. What I see when I plug the cable in - if I tune to a channel it comes in. Switch to an HD and it shows can't find transponder. Unplug the cable - plug it back in and the HD then works. Then switch to some other SD channel - and it shows can't get to one of the other transponders... argg.

So - are we screwed here? I've seen other comments that from SW44, can't get both on one cable. So I'm confused... Anything we can get right now to get both with one tuner at least? Any splitter or switch? We can run another cable, it's just the roof around the disk is covered in snow and there's a massive snowbank on the wall with the cable and would prefer to wait for spring...

TIA

#2 ·
get a DPP with a DPP seperator. you won't need the sw44 anmore nor the power supply. and you will be able to eliminate 1 wire from the dish to your first pvr. DPP technology allows you to have one line for your dual tuner recievers as long as you have a dpp seperator. its important to have input 1 with input 1 and the 2 with the 2 in back of the reciever

#4 ·
the DPP is a LNB. its a LNB and acts as a switch at the same time. yes you will have to replace the 2 legacy LNB's. It's very simple, you will need a star screw driver and a key 7/16. take off the two LNB's, take off the sw44 and the 4 patch cords. take your coax from 1 room and connect it to the DPP Twin LNB, and take 1 of the two wires from your pvr and also connect it. make sure you connect them both on the same side.( there are 2 outs and one in ) then screw the DPP back on. the 2nd coax for the PVR can be removed. you won't need it anymore. for your pvr, or pvr's, you will nee to put a DPP seperator in back of the reciever. ( it looks a bit like a splitter but it isnt a splitter )

#5 ·
OK, chris, lets just take a step back and clarify things a little here for posters who are not fully conversant with Bell TV terminology. This is all covered in stickies and previous threads but here it is again.

Legacy = The technology used since the beginning and now being replaced by DPP at Bell TV.
DP = Dish Pro, superceded by DPP, never used by Bell TV.
DPP = Dish Pro Plus, the newest technology used by Bell TV

Now, to try to explain in a simpler way.

The existing LNBF's are Legacy, they will need to be replaced by a DPP Twin LNBF.

You would then only require 1 feed from the DPP LNBF, to each Receiver. At the rear of each reciever, you would use a DPP Separator, which will allow you to feed BOTH Tuners.

After installation, all you need to do is a "Check Switch". No Dish realignment is required, as the DPP Twin, replaces BOTH Legacy LNBF's.

#6 ·
Ah - makes sense now. I just got back from a business trip. Talked to my parents. I haven't used a dish since 2004 - things weren't as complex back then. I think the best bet - replace the LNB with the new DPP versions. Either we get Bell to do this (which, I assume could cost a bit) or we buy it ourselves and replace. Which means we need the LNBs and the DPP separator for each receiver. I'll let them know...

Thanks

#7 ·
I doubt Bell would do it as a Service Call anyway, so buying a DPP Twin LNBF and 2 x Separators is the best way.

There should be no re-aiming involved as the DPP LNBF just replaces BOTH existing LNBF's.

#8 ·
Why don't you just call Bell and inform them about the new receiver that was purchased and never installed properly. Hear out what options Bell can offer to help you with your issue. Bottom line; this is not a service call, but an additional receiver job.

#9 ·
We will have to disagree Costa. It is a Service Call, to Install an Additional Receiver.

I am not saying they will not come out and install a DPP Twin LNBF etc but if they do it will be the first time Bell will have removed a working SW44 and exchanged it for newer equipment, under a Service Call scenario.

What happens to the used SW44.?

The correct procedure if Bell are called should be to run a second line for the new Dual Tuner Receiver from the SW44. Note I say SHOULD.

Who knows, Techs are making up their own rules these days, and who can blame them, they choose the route of least work, which in this case would be DPP LNBF and Separators, just not sure how it would be invoiced to the Customer or how the Tech can balance his Inventory, if he ever does anyway.

#10 ·
Just to revive this old thread...

I was heading up to the parent's place on the weekend. I thought they actually called Bell a while ago, but turns out they did not. I ordered the stuff from Canada Satellite and put a rush on it. I have not heard back - tried to email and call and nothing. I'm thinking it won't get here by Friday. I think I'll cancel that order (if I can - or just decline the charges - I hate when vendors don't update or ship or even respond!) and see if I can get it local in Toronto. I've searched google everywhere - anyone know of a place that definitely sells this stuff in Toronto?

Thanks

#12 ·
The OP has 4 lines from the LNBF's to the SW44 and is running a Dual Tuner and a Single Tuner Receiver (3 outputs from SW44). I get the distinct impression that he does not want to, or is unable to, run a second line from the SW44 to the Single Tuner location.

The suggestion of switching to DPP is a good one and will be easy and clean and will not require any further Coax, he will be able to re-use the existing and have a spare from the old SW44 location to the Dual Tuner.

Equipment needed, DPP Twin and 2 x DPP Separators and a little time.

#13 ·
That was the plan. If for some insane reason my parents wanted two receivers upstairs, they could. However, getting these things are proving to be a bit difficult. Running the cable isn't a big deal - we've got the existing hole in the wall to work with. I might go with that option as I still can't find them locally here.

#16 ·
They are without doubt the ONLY thing making Installations easier for you guys from Bell for a hell of a long time.

All you need now are DPP Switch's......

#17 ·
bell is always one step behind. dish is now using the 1000.4 on the eastern and western arc. if you like the dpp's you'll love the 1000.4 dish. with it's 3 dpp outputs and 1 input. I just installed a few for the first time this week,
I must admit the abillity to run 3 lines in the house to 3 twin tuners is nice.
they aim at 61.5 ,77 and 72.7 but there's no reason they can't be implemented here. the rugged dish and mounts compensate for the heavy lnb....unlike the d500. and the fine tuning bolts are great as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.