Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The most basic and cheapest installation is using SW21 switches.

It will combine one line from 91 and 82 together. Using 2 dual lnbs which has 2 lines at 91 and 2 lines at 82 will give you 2 lines combined with 2 SW21 switches. This will cover 2 tuners maximum.

This is one of the most common installations with Bell.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
A SW21 switch

Administrators Note:
I want to thank Q for all his work setting these threads. All of the work was done by him. I merely helped him post some of this information (hence why it appears to be posted by me). Please direct any thanks or questions to him - Hugh

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Installation examples:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Almost the same as the SW21 installation is the SW42 switch. It is like two SW21's combined into one part.

Administrators Note:
I want to thank Q for all his work setting these threads. All of the work was done by him. I merely helped him post some of this information (hence why it appears to be posted by me). Please direct any thanks or questions to him - Hugh

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
An example of only one or two receivers getting programming from 82 while the others receive 91 would be the use of a SW34 switch also called a multiswitch. The one below has 2 satellite inputs, an antenna input (not required) and four outputs. A SW24 switch is the same as a SW34 switch except there is no antenna input

The satellite inputs MUST be from the same satellite. So you could hook up a SW34 using two 91 lines to give you four outputs. You then use one or two SW21 switches to combine the 82 line with the 91 line. This can give you two combined lines and 2 91 lines.

You could also use a SW44 switch which will give you four lines combined and 2 separate lines of 91.

Administrators Note:

edit by dosborne Adding an example image

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
This thread is very useful. Thanks.
When I get my 5th turner I installed a sw24 in front of my existing sw44 so as to have 4 outputs (from the sw44) with both 91 and 82 satellites and 2 outputs (directly from the sw24) on 91 only. I had this working for a couple of weeks before buying a second sw24 switch. Now I have all six outputs with both 91 and 82 by using 2 sw24, 2 sw21, and the original sw44 switch. Quiet a setup! Both setups work very well.
I plan to buy another sw44 if I can find one at a good price on eBay.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
The good thing about using the 3x4 switch that Hugh has shown, is if you are lucky enough to live in an area that has OTA HD, you can hook your antenna into the switch, sending satellite, and OTA on the same cable, and then split is with a diplexor at your receiver to have OTA HD too!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to add because I didn't know a SW24 existed. It looks idential to the SW34 but does not have and Antenna IN port. I will see about having this notation added in on original post.

i hate tv,

I included the sw34 switch but didn't get too much into the antenna in side because I have not tested if it will get carried through other switches after it. My feeling is that it does not.

·
OTA signals pass flawlessly through SW34's and SW44's, at least the ones issued by Express Vu have no problems handling these signals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
OTA Pass-thru

I think Q was questionning whether the OTA signal would pass through the SW21s or other switches downstream after having being added into the SW34 in the setup being described by Hugh and promoted by I hate tv.

Can anyone comment whether the OTA signals would pass through SW21 (say)? This setup would be integral to my plan as I think I would need exactly this to get both satellite and OTA signals to both a 9200 and an old 3100 in separate rooms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello?

Can anyone respond on the question above? I need to know this before buying the equipment for my install.

Please also see my more detailed description/questions in the main install thread. No one has responded there for days...

Thanks!

·
Well as you can clearly see Choots, I did respond,
OTA signals pass flawlessly through SW34's and SW44's, at least the ones issued by Express Vu have no problems handling these signals.
As SW21's that are supplied by Express Vu are from the same manufacturer as the SW44's I would think it is a safe bet they will work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
Just to clear up on the sw34 switch, would you need to have both lnb lines connected to the inputs or would it work with only one line connected?
i understand that they would both have to be from 91 or 82 sat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have always wondered about this? Why is the question? Is it just for increased signal strength, since both inputs are same, or do they behave differently in this mode? Say, as compared will being able to connect only one cable to a sw21 switch, or directly to the reciever. So, why do you sometimes need both, and sometimes only one?
May a very silly question!
I know the pro and pro plus LNB have internal switches that are disabled when connected to external switches.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe this is why and is from Dish site.

Polarity

DISH Network signals travel in a circular pattern from the satellite to the dish. This is referred to as "polarity." Two different types of circular polarity are used: right-hand circular (13 volts) and left-hand circular (18 volts).

So one line carries each signal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, I vaguely knew that. However, I am still confused. What happens if you connect the LNB directly to a receiver with only one cable, does the receive control the right and left switching, like the sw21?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not 100% sure but I think it only comes into effect when using 2 or more tuners. It is important when the receivers try to access the same transponders.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What happens if you connect the LNB directly to a receiver with only one cable, does the receive[r] control the right and left switching, like the sw21?
Yes. The receiver applies either 13 or 18 volts to its satellite input, depending on what channel it is tuned to. If that input to the receiver is a direct cable from an LNB, then the voltage tells the LNB which polarity to send on that cable.

A single-satellite multiswitch applies a constant 13V to one LNB input and 18V to its other LNB input, effectively "pinning" each cable from the LNB to always carry a particular polarity. In this case, the voltage from the receiver is used to tell the switch which LNB input (i.e., which polarity) to pass through to that receiver.

Also, the receiver selects which satellite (91 degrees or 82 degrees) to listen to by applying or not applying a 22 kHz tone on its satellite input. The voltage plus the tone from the receiver are used to tell a multi-satellite switch (e.g., SW44) which LNB input from which satellite to pass through to that receiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to see if i understand this right could someone please let me know if i am in left field or what -

I have an sw44 for my hd 9242 and that will be connected to out #1 & #2.
I also have an sw34. If i connect in#h and in#v of the sw34 to out#3 & out
#4 of the sw44, can i connect 4 sd receivers to out#1 to out#4 of my sw34?

KevinR

1 - 20 of 373 Posts