Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get a cheapish svideo->component cable/adapter? I bought my parents a 22" LCD TV for Christmas (Samsung T220HD), but the best their sat receiver can do is svideo-out while the "worst" the tv can accept is component-in (well, I can use the coax, but I'd rather not if it can at all be avoided).

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
I assume you mean composite (not component, which has three cables and I'm not sure if there is something that goes from S-video to component). Many times, one of the connectors of the component array of three inputs can be used for composite and is labelled "video" or similar? I can't be sure which coloured connector it is, but if you've got a composite connection from the STB, give that a try to one of the component inputs - I believe it's the green one.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections.

Most electronics stores like The Souce should have an S-video to composite connector, or search on-line, but the STB may have a composite (yellow) connection that you can try.

·
Super Moderator
17,511 Posts
Try product id 3044 at monoprice .com. It says it's for an Infocus projector, but the customer review says someone used it for a PC Video card S-Video out, so it should work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I have a few of those already but the pinout is different on the svideo end (7-pin vs standard 4-pin for svideo).

I could try it without the pins and see what happens if I get stuck, but for now I'm going to rely on 57's info that the Yb jack in a component setup will act as a composite connector if used solo.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Looking at the user guide for that TV, it doesn't look like it has a composite or s-video connector. Unless the composite-in-the-component trick works, your best options would seem to be:

- get a new satellite box. If you have an HDTV, maybe it is time to upgrade to HD on your satellite service.

- get an adaptor. If you can't find an s-video->component adaptor, I am pretty sure you can get s-video-->vga adaptors, and it looks like your TV has a VGA input. This would certainly be your cheapest option.

- use a receiver to make the upconvert. Many current home audio receivers will take s-video in and upconvert it to component or HDMI when sending it to your TV. If you don't happen to have one, though, this could be an expensive option ($200-300 at least).

- use the RF connection. On a TV that size, it might very well work fine. This is a solution that you can do right now. It might be worth trying it out to ensure that it is worth your effort to pursue more expensive options.

It is a surprise to me that we have already reached the point where they will make TVs that do not have any SD inputs at all. I hadn't thought I would need to watch for that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up on the s-video->vga option scampbell, I found one at directdial which looks like it should work for just 10 bucks. If the component/composite trick doesn't work, I'll definitely go ahead and get one of those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts