Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced aging suspended ceiling tiles (standard low cost 20+ year old white compressed fibre type) in the basement HT room with brand new Armstrong Sonoflex tiles. I had planned to only just test them and reuse them in another room and then get top line deadeners for the HT room, but I'm delighted to say that they are excellent, so I won't be replacing them after all. :)

Noise from both directions, upstairs and down, is noticeably reduced from the older tiles. The Sonoflex tiles are much less rigid than the old ones, and are made of densely compressed fibreglas-like soft material. They are not for R-value thermal purposes, just for sound deadening. They were very low cost at Home Depot compared to some of the top of the line noise deadeners I've seen on the market. These ones are typical-looking white rectangles so not much to look at, but as I say their primary purpose is noise deadening and I'm quite happy with them on that count.

For those of you using suspended ceiling tiles which brand/type have you used for your HT room?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I used to have the generic 2 x 4 foot white ceiling tiles, but as I'm redoing the room I'm looking for something darker. I'm using a projector, so I want to minimize light reflection off the ceiling. Something along these lines looks like it will do the trick:

Black Theater Ceiling Tiles

They also claim a 60 percent reduction in sound transmission. I toyed with the idea of drywalling the ceiling, but I just can't give up that convenient access to the underside of the floors above ... :) I've seen the results where someone painted their white ceiling tiles black, and it looked pretty scary. The big box reno places don't carry anything other than white, and the last guy I talked to at HD couldn't even find black tiles in his catalogs.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WestCDA said:
I toyed with the idea of drywalling the ceiling, but I just can't give up that convenient access to the underside of the floors above
A homeowner should never drywall a basement ceiling unless they can absolutely guarantee that there are no pipes, ducts, or wires to be accessed. When we bought our home years ago I mentioned to mrs. stampeder that the part of the basement ceiling that had been done that way would be trouble some day, and sure enough a copper pipe leaked last year and I had to chip away quite a bit of soggy drywall to get at it to repair it. :mad: Now I'm converting that area completely to suspended ceiling tiles.
WestCDA said:
I've seen the results where someone painted their white ceiling tiles black
While looking for tile replacements I came across a few strongly worded warnings to never paint ceiling tiles because the paint fills in every hole and ridge in the porous surface, ruining much of the sound deadening qualities.

BTW Armstrong claims 80% reduction for Sonoflex, and it sure seems like it, but I've read somewhere that industry % quotes should not be taken as proof.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've seen the results where someone painted their white ceiling tiles black
The trick is to spray paint them with a very thin coat of flat latex made for ceiling use. Brush or roller application doesn't work well. Black may not be the best color. I would go with a medium or dark gray.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts