Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

Well I am finally getting this system up and running. I ran MACAA from my VSX-32 ...adjusted some of the setting but when I watch a movie the surround effect is about 5 feet behind me. I watched a few Utube videos for testing( helicopter passing by) and my seating position gives the effect that most ( if not all )is coming from the front...if I step back everything come into play much better
Is anyone familiar with the VSX-32?...and any idea which setting is affecting this?...speaker distance setting maybe
My front and center speakers are about the same distance( maybe 3 feet off) from me as the Surrounds..about 15-16 feet..yes big room
Any help is much appreciated...other than move your seat back:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
With a 5.1 setup, the surround speakers are usually off to the side, rather than in behind your listening position. Here's a brief tutorial:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5cTt4DA55lS/learn/learningcenter/home/speaker_placement.html

Some receivers let you program the speaker distance. It can be set automatically with a mic and something like Audyssey, but you can usually adjust it manually as well. I think it's more likely that you need to move the rear speakers closer. That's more likely to have an impact as opposed to having the receiver try fool you as to speaker location.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Do you mean to say you tested the surround levels of your HT using a youtube video? If this is the case, youtube videos are at most 2 channel stereo; you won't get discrete 5.1 channels of audio, rendering any surround tests rather useless.

As mentioned in the above post, the ideal placement of the surround speakers is on either side of the listening position (slightly back is ok, but not significantly so), and above ear level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts