Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home theater is finally under construction after multiple delays. I'm now starting the framing stage and have a quick question. I want to put in enough studs to support the wall mount for my 47" LCD. I don't have the mount yet and didnt plan on buying until the construction is complete. Are all wall mounts set up to hit studs at 16" centers?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wall mounts have many holes. Just ensure that wall mount works with the TV. Some brands don't use the VESA. You can also add a horizontal 2 x 4 if you prefer.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
VESA is the trade organization display manufacturers belong to, or at least try to comply to. Amongst other things, they specify the standards for display mounts on the TV side. The VESA mount standard covers hole spacing and screw size.

I would build a double stud where the TV mount would bolt to, or use a 4x4 post.
I would do 4x4 post, 2x4 stud, 4x4 post. I would try to run any wires from the top. To beef it up further, I would put a piece of 1/2" plywood across those posts and stud where the TV will go, and structural ties to secure the posts/double stud to the plates.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There is nothing wrong with mounting it on standard 16" oc studs.
I have a 50" plasma and a 42" plasma mounted this way without any issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It worked out that after framing the window under where the tv will mount I ended up with 2 studs perfectly centered at 16" spacing. I am going to double up both studs and that should be enough support and add room for error. I also noticed that most tilting tv mounts slide side to side to center it perfectly under the window. Thanks guys.

Be prepared you may see a number of little questions going up during the course of this build.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
And you be prepared to get little answers to your little questions during the build....;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm ready to do the same thing. What is the typical height to mount a TV on the wall? Both my wife and I both wear progressive lenses, I'm thinking slightly above eye level so we are look through the right part of our glasses. Centre of screen about 48" from the floor?

I'm looking at a Sanus LT25 mount, anyone have any experience with this mount?

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you are unsure as to exactly where your TV is going to end up, install 4' tall piece of plywood between two stud spaces with centre at 60" flush with the front of your studs. This will allow for some maneuvering of the TV location without having to worry about having to hit 2 studs.

I'm ready to do the same thing. What is the typical height to mount a TV on the wall? Both my wife and I both wear progressive lenses, I'm thinking slightly above eye level so we are look through the right part of our glasses. Centre of screen about 48" from the floor?
Height all depends on how big your room is, how far away you are sitting and what type of furniture you are sitting in. 48"OC seems low to me but each person has a different preference as to hight. My TV is at 60"OC but I am also sitting about 15' away and I still could have put it higher but since its a 60" Kuro it isn't coming down just to make a minor adjustment on height ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
tunksys, 15' for 60" is about three times the diagonal. Some may say that your viewing distance is too far possibly even for that nice Kuro. Of course, personal preference.

dgb - many people swear by monoprce mounts at probably 40% of the Sanus. I bought from Costco at 100 bucks because I couldn't wait to order from monoprce.

to the OP, I go the conduit for the cables and power outlet at about 4 feet but I knew that we would be going for the largest, reasonably priced, LED-backlit LCD. Then Costco put the Sony 700 series 60" on sale. So I dropped the largest part in my criteria.:D (Largest available then was a 65" Samsung whose PQ and black levels were truly amazing. However, no one in Ottawa had it on display.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts