Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own two 9200's and love them but need more memory. Reading these forums it sounds like it will never happen but has anyone heard any discussion of future support of external HD on 9200? Or is there an "unsupported" way of adding a HD if someone wanted to modify reciever themselves? There is a USB port on it, so is it never intended to be used?

Thanks,
GB

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The 9200 is an old receiver, it is not capable of MPEG4 which is the way forward so the chances of any External Drive capability is less than nil.

The USB port can be used for adding up to 1 Gb, I believe it is, of .jpeg images.

When Bell TV eventually goes over to MPEG4, they should be replacing your 9200's with an MPEG4 receiver, hopefully the 9242, then you can use an external drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I actually own the two 9200's. Maybe Bell would like to buy them back from me?! :)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I doubt they will buy them back, they will only usable as Dual Tuner SD receivers after the switch to MPEG4 but as I said, they might choose to replace them, at little or no cost I hope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... If you own the 9200 I donn't think Bell will replace them for you at little or no cost. I suspect their position will be that your reciever is outdated and you need to upgrade. But I'm hoping for better too.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
As I have stated in other threads, anyone who is signed up with Dish Care and then has a problem with a 9200 seams to be getting them replaced with 9242's. Same with 6100's, they are being replaced with 6141's.

This is aparently Bell's way of starting the switch to MPEG4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope you are right about that. What is "Dish Care" ? And do you mean that people that owned 9200's (not rented) are getting replacement 9242's ?

Thx,
GB

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can tell you from experience that if you own a 9200
They will replace it with a 9242
That is what they did with me
My 9200 was owned and out of warranty
I paid 162.00 which included shipping the 9242 and
Shipping back the 9200

Wayne

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
RE: Dish Care

Please note that the website says that Dish Care is only available for Ontario and Quebec customers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dish Care

So, for $6.95/month for Dishcare, if something happens to your 9200, they will sell you a refurbished 9242 for ~ $150 + shipping ?

Will bell sell you a refurbished 9242 if you are not on Dishcare ?

Thanks,
Scooter62

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Dishcare is an insurance or extended warranty.
The 9200's are apparently being replaced with 9242's at no cost to any one covered by Dishcare.
See http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.Dish-Care/dish_care.details
There are additional discounts if you have Phone and Cell service.
The $150 fee is for people who don't have Dishcare and they exchange a non-operational unit for a refurbished one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts