Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought, haphazardly, Supernatural blu-ray seasons 1/3/4 thinking season 2 is just currently out of stock. To my surprise, I can't find a single place that sells season 2 on blu-ray.

Does it even exist? If yes, where? If not.. WTF?

·
Banned
262 Posts
This happens a lot. People stock up on them, knowing others are desperate to buy. They create an artificial vacuum, then clean up on price. It happens with anything in a series or set; dvds, magazines, etc. And usually with number two, because everyone 's already bought into it at one. It's basically a newer scam.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It looks like the first three seasons were not originally released on Blu-ray and are getting a messed up re-release schedule on the high-def format.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shows/Supernatural/9444

Season 1 was only released last June so you may want to be a bit patient.

You could buy the DVD while you wait for it on Blu-ray, if you are planning on watching the series in order any time soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, season 3 came out a few months after the DVDs, and then season 4 came out the same day. Warner is going back and filling in the season 1/2 gap, with season 1 already out, and season 2 scheduled for the first half of 2011. Maybe I'll give my Warner contacts a shout and see if they have anything new with the date (I want to see it as well).

Gord
(editor of TVShowsOnDVD.com)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Gord Lacey. I decided to just return seasons 1/3/4 back to the store and will just buy them as a box set once the series is over just the way I bought my X-Files, Angel, Buffy, Alias, Friends DVDs and Lost BD. :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but that can be very dangerous when it comes to TV-on-DVD (or BD, in this case).

In order for a box set to be released, the studio must see that there's demand. TV-on-BD isn't doing as well as TV-on-DVD had done in the past, and we've seen many examples of a show being released on BD, then not continued because of sales. If consumers don't purchase season-by-season, then the chances of a box set diminishes. I can't tell you how many emails I've gotten from people asking when the next season of a show will be released, and when I tell them that it may not come due to low sales, they're annoyed because they've been waiting to buy them all at once. Every purchase counts.

Gord

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So true. At the same time, studios should also stop being a pain if they want support from their consumers though.

For example, Glee Season 1 part 1 was only released on DVD without any mention that the blu-ray is coming, so I being a fan I bought the DVD Season 1 part 1 just to find out several months later that the complete 1st season is available on Blu-ray.

The same goes with Friends. I bought the entire series just to find out several month later they re-release the entire series for half the price of the initial complete-series pack. (the same goes with X-files, Buffy and Angel, although that's more bearable since the 50%-off pricing of the re-release comes a year later)

I'll wait for 2nd season to be released before I re-buy seasons 1/3/4. BestBuy will think I'm nuts for buying seasons 1/3/4, returning 1/3/4, then rebuy 1/3/4 a couple of day later :D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I completely agree, especially with the complete series sets. I'm not a fan of them, as they usually screw the loyal fans that supported the season releases. I really, really don't like when the studio includes exclusive material on the set that isn't available for everyone else. That's slimy.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thats what I like to see. I have been wanting S2 on BD for ever. Now if only wb will get off there ass and release Smallville S1-5 on BD.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time to re-buy 1/3/4!!!

@ Gord Lacey,

Is there a possibility you can ask your contact at Waner when they're releasing the remake of "House on Haunted Hill"? They released the sequel more than 2 years ago but not the original movie. Also Scooby Doo 2. They've released Scooby Doo 1 and 3 but never released part 2.

Antics like these make people hesitant in buying movie series. :(

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks anyway, Gord!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts