1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had a long conversation on the phone from the owner of the company whom I ordered the antenna from. The Super Yooper setup really could not be accomplished from our local area on account of overload issues.
He was very helpful and nice.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
It's a Fraccaro Distributor

That company's lines of antennas are imported Fracarros from Italy, which are unusual in North America. They have a good reputation in Europe, but all in all there is nothing really "super yooper" special about them compared to other brands in the North American market.

Having said that, I'm always looking to see if unusual antenna brand models really show strong benefits over similar models from other brands. :)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Super Yooper setup really could not be accomplished from our local area on account of overload issues.
I had a feeling that would be the case. I was more interested in the concept of Tropospheric Scatter. That is, using a high gain array for distant reception, regardless of time of day. It appears to be similar to your XG91 experiment. Using high gain preamps with such an array is not practical with high powered local stations present.

The Sigma6 HD specs claim about 15 dBi at 698 mhz. So stacking them would give about 17.5 dBi.
I thought the Sigma6 HD a very interesting design and well adapted for Canadian urban installations. It appears to provide the advantages of much larger yagis or bow ties in a small space. The main drawbacks are price and availability.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Do you guys think that Super Yooper might be helpful here?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8d173a6d69de0e

My summer cottage. Not incredibly far from transmitters, but nothing line of sight due to hills.

See the Alymer - Hull - Gatineau thread for a discussion about my current setup and possible set-up changes for this summer.

I'm on the lookout for an antenna solution that might work for there.

I've never heard of the Super Yooper before -- or that Italian antenna company. But it might be fun to try it out as long as I know it wouldn't be any worse than any other antenna I could get.

I noticed the company's gain chart shows dBi -- as I believe Antennas Direct does.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Are your real channels 4 and 6 going to stay at real 4 and 6 after the transition ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
4 is moving to 25
6 is flash cutting from analog to digital and staying on 6,...in their wisdom.
9 and 13 will go digital
Aug 31, 2011 is flash-cut day.

Don't worry much about the VHF channels. I realize the antenna we're talking about is a UHF antenna. I'll think of something else for the other channels. What do you think about this Super Yooper? Is this some magic antenna that I need? Will it give me a hope of getting signals from the slightly more distant Ottawa transmitters?

Camp Fortune is the close tower. Herbert's Corners is the distant one. PBS is over 100 miles away in upstate NY.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
It will probably get the uhf stations above 4 NM, if you dont have trees in the near distance. If you got trees, youre better off with a broadside style antenna like a GH or 4 bay.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm already using an 4228hd.

Maybe I'll save my money on the Super Trooper for now and think about doing a DBGH.

Too bad I can't do a rf6 NAROD!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I wouldn't use a European UHF antenna here in North America as they have a much larger band and aren't optimized for the wavelengths we use here.

Regarding the BLV6F (VHF-HI (CH7-13) 13dB High Gain YAGI Antenna) that ScaryBob originally asked about, it certainly is an interesting design, using folded dipoles for directors and reflector. At first I thought it was some type of Log Periodic Array but they say it is a Yagi, and looking closer at it, I think they are right.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I took a closer look at the numbers and the BLV6F is optimized for a 174 – 230 MHz VHF-HI band, but here our band is only 174-216 MHz. That means the maximum gain will be less than 12 dBi (according to their plot) for us (at channel 13) and the gain drops down to 8 dBi for channel 7. So I would say there are better options out there for use here in North America.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ran across an interesting article while hunting down a source for the BLV6F. Note the section on Tropospheric Scatter. One caveat, the area mentioned has no strong local stations and only one station within 25 miles. The setup mentioned would also be very expensive to reproduce.
“The Super Yooper” . . . . . . . . . . (or : Tropo-Scatter in Da U-P )
I read the article with some interest and based on what he claimed was the location, I put in some long/lat coordinates and generated a theoretical tvfool for his location. I picked a location in Google maps that was 5 miles east of Nahma and about 15 miles west of Manistique Michigan on Big Bay de Noc. Here's the TVFool

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8d1793a393bb63

If it is to be believed, he is getting some impressive results with the dual Fracarro antenna setup....
Here's the listing; I highlighted what he claims to receive "all day/night"

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the London members has a BLV6F and is getting good results with it. His setup is pictured here. As for the "Super Yooper", I would guess that there are other good high gain antennas could yield similar results. The AntennasDirect XG91 would be one such antenna. The idea of using Tropospheric Scatter in remote areas is what intrigued me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
also the pre amps that hes using are different and are selling for 150$ and hes using two pre amps so its a costly setup

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
TVFool results can very widely within a town so without having his real TVFool results, it is just a guess. He could have much better elevation and LOS than your guessed co-ordinates indicate.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The “Fish Camp” is located on Big Bay de Noc, about 5 miles east of Nahma, and about 15 miles west of Manistique.
I would guess that the biggest advantage to the location is the relative absence of noise from RF generating devices. The amount of RF interference in urban locations today is quite high. That's one reason why VHF-lo has become so useless for TV.

·
Registered
285 Posts
"“The Super Yooper”".

I hope the reception claimed is not really a 'tropo' days.

Just think of it, at 199 miles distance and able to receive signal day and night? I doubt it...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts