Lenovo today announced the ThinkPad X1, the thinnest and lightest laptop the company has ever introduced. The ThinkPad X1 with its 13 inch screen weighs 3.7 pounds and is less than 17 mm think, about the height of a penny.

Also noteworthy is the inclusion of Lenovo’s new RapidCharge battery technology that charges up to 80 percent in just 30 minutes. The company says the new technology charges 2.5 times faster than a typical ThinkPad battery.

Although light, the ultra-thin laptops don't skimp on toughness thanks to the use of Corning's new Gorilla Glass which provides extra durability and scratch resistance.

Lenovo has also modernized the keyboard’s appearance, eliminating some legacy keys like SysRq while simultaneously retaining the touch, feel and function of the classic ThinkPad keyboard. For working in low light, users can turn on the spill resistant keyboard’s backlight.

The ThinkPad X1 laptop is available now and comes with in multiple configurations with the choice of choices of second generation Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors. Pricing starts at $1,399.

Discuss the new laptop in Digital Home's Home Computing forum .