Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Michigan St. @ Duke is unsurprisingly not on HD SSP tonight. They get the ESPN sd feed, why can't they get the HD feed as well?

·
Registered
161 Posts
LOL I wasn't suprised in the least.... I was actually impressed they even had the game, period. Also, whats been going on with the guide lately for the SSP? All of the HD events aren't even listed, so there's no way of knowing anythign is on unless you go and check the channel. Last night same deal for the Giants/Vikes game on the SD channel.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I was surprised the game was on too, and we even had 20 minutes to find it as kickoff was at 7:20.

As for the HD, I didn't expect it because there were hockey games on at 9:00, 9:30, and 10:00 as well as a basketball game on at 9:00.

It's been stated before (and appears to be correct) that despite having 23 HD channels, Cogeco only has capacity to actually air 4 HD games at any given time.

Remember this gem? (emphasis mine)

Montréal, May 27, 2010 — Cogeco Cable (TSX: CCA) today announced the addition of 26 new
High Definition (HD) channels to its Ontario HD Line-up. Starting today, Cogeco HD Television
customers can get access to History Television HD, MovieTime HD, CBS College Sports Network
HD, TLC HD, KTLA HD, WPIX HD, and WSBK HD. Also starting today, the Super Sports Pack will
now total 23 distinct HD channels, each one dedicated to a specific sport.
The Super Sports Pack is
comprised of the NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, NBA, OHL, Nascar and
U.S. College Basketball and Football.

“Our customers just love the outstanding quality of HD Television and the experience it brings. We
always strive to provide them with the most interesting and relevant programming in the market.
This is why we continually invest in this technology. With the addition of these channels, our goal is
to offer more HD content for all tastes, from sports to movies to history and general interest
channels. In fact, we are enhancing our HD offering in Ontario, at no extra cost for our HD
customers," noted Ron Perrotta, Vice President, Marketing and Strategic Planning at Cogeco Cable.
By my count it's been nearly 7 months and I'm still really only getting 4 HD channels. I could argue, successfully, that we're actually getting LESS HD programming now that we have more channels.

It's time to stop blaming Rogers and fix this. Once my 6 month commitment is done, I'm cancelling the SSP. If we don't have 23 channels up and running by then (Feb-March), there won't be another dime spent in the gobisbay household on the SSP.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Even if you don't have the SSP, gobisbay, you can still get some random games, some even in HD. Unless there's a free preview going on that I don't know about.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
In a perfect world, Cogeco wouldn't be in my lexicon.

As it stands now, I pay for the SSP and I get random games. Should I consider that lucky too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
SSP is a scam. Very few HD games and surprising omissions on standard channels. I called to cancel but they are enforcing the 6 month contract even though the product is not as advertised.

DO NOT ORDER SSP. EVER.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You should contact Cogeco to see if they want to use your endorsement in one of their ad campaigns.

I know there are Cogeco employees reading this forum. Nobody has even tried to explain the difficulties or reasons for the garbage we have to put up with. Silence, in this case, says a lot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like they took away my free access to channel 464 for HD hockey yesterday, although I still had some of the SD ones when I checked last night.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Channel 464 was supposed to show the Colorado - Minnesota game last night but the Heat - Suns game was on (no listing on 468 for the basketball game either). The Wild game kicked in with just over 4 minutes to play. Also, the Pittsburgh - Washington game was on this channel earlier and the Wild game would have been about halfway through already when that game ended.

Strange.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
To add to how much cogeco sucks they have no HD ssp games listed tonight.
The guide is not updated but...

Minnesota - NJ is in HD on CH. 464
TBL - Wash. is in HD on CH. 465
Buffalo - Colorado is in HD on CH. 466

and that seems to be it as no other games are in HD.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know why you guys continue to put up with this crap. I made the switch to Bell in June and while it's about double the price I can only recall one instance where they messed up the guide and it was like a Tuesday night college football game. You also get about 80-90% and very close to 100% of NFL games in HD. The Cogeco compressed SD SSP feeds are complete garbage and I'm not exaggerating when I say the quality of their compressed SD feeds of some games are often worse than feeds you can get for free on the internet. It looks like you're watching a VHS tape that has been on your shelf since 1987.

As a side note I am by no means endorsing Bell. I hate them and everything they stand for but in this case it is the lesser of 2 evils.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Double the price is basically a non-starter for me.

Also, in Windsor here Cogeco doesn't sim-sub HD broadcasts (I give them credit for that - I complained and they told me they were fixing it and they did, albeit a couple months later than they said they would).

If I had to put up with the Bell simsubs, I think I would go crazy. As much as I hate the SSP on Cogeco, I watch other programs too and they're much nicer unspoiled by Canadian commercials.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Without sounding too repetitive, we all know that Cogeco shows extremely limited SSP games in HD; despite having 23 dedicated HD SSP channels. I note that they have taken channel 464 which would have shown NHL games in HD tonight off and substituted it with DWHD in order to show PGA Golf in HD. Could they not have found another channel to substitute with. SSP HD always is sub par. This just takes it to a new level.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I believe the golf they showed on Saturday & Sunday was 3D. It appeared on my non-3D TV as two (seemingly) identical side-by-side images (I would guess they are probably offset slightly though).

Today is MLK day. Not sure if any hockey games are on this afternoon, but it's Big Monday on ESPN and there are 4 NCAA BB games starting at 3:30. Rogers is scheduled to show them in HD. Cogeco (expectedly) is not.

Why do channels 480-483 exist again?

Oh, and the Pitt - Seton Hall game was on Saturday during the first half, but disappeared at some point before, during, or shortly after halftime. WTF?

·
Banned
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I see as part of Rogers new rate increases effective March 1, the SSP will increase to $31.95/month. I'm fairly certain we'll soon get the privilege of paying the new price through Cogeco for far less programming (especially HD) than Rogers provides with this package.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cogeco will likely have no choice but to raise the SSP rate since they are tied to Rogers' hip. I see that Rogers SSP customers also have access to NHL Gamecentre and included in their SSP price. Watching games on-line would be better than compressed SD on Cogeco. I am still waiting for someone at Cogeco to explain to me why the big announcement last spring regarding 23 SSP HD channels. Note that Cogeco had strong first quarter financial results....thanks to us customers....now to only show us some value for our money by increasing the number of HD feeds for SSP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am free at last! Cancelled SSP last week and will never go near it again. Already cancelled movie channels and moved to netflix. The less I pay Cogeco the better I feel.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts