Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm really not sure why they are also putting it on TSN and CTV. Is there *anyone* who gets TSN but doesn't get CTV? It seems pointless to have the same show on seven channels at the same time, when one of them is far more accessible than the others. (This is the same people who buried the Grey Cup on TSN alone, how very patriotic of them.)

I don't see the problem with the website, though. Lots of people want the ads. Bell decided to offer them in some way. Pretty easy to avoid if you're not interested, but it beats their old stance.

·
Registered
741 Posts
@Viper550,

Why would "basically only OTA viewers and streamers are going to watch it off CTV, right?" I'm watching it on FOX from Buffalo. Or did you mean OTAers not near a border city?

·
Registered
102 Posts
The ads should not be allowed on that site before the game happens...that's my biggest sticking point, Tridus.

You put the ads on the site after their 1st live airing.

Spoil nothing, you know?

=P

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I personally only watch the game - I'll be watching the game starting on my DVR around 7:00 to 7:30 to skip all the commercials and halftime show. I just want to see the game.

Do the same thing during every regular season game - for a 1pm game, I start watching at 2pm on my DVR and by 4pm I'm caught up with skipping through the commercials - get a free hour of my life back every weekend!

Maybe next year one of the competing networks should just show the commercials over and over again since it seems to be more important to some people then the game.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm one of the many who's complained to the CRTC about simsubs in the past - it's not only about the ads for the Big Game, but about other issues with simsubs like poor audio / video, cut-off of live events thanks to the provider putting an incorrect simsub on too early due to automation, promos like this being cut-out which I find a part of the telecast itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlG3Bv3H3YA

I'm glad the CRTC ruled otherwise for the Super Bowl, and hopefully simsubs will be a thing of the past soon.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't watch the game but I'll catch the half-time show on PVR. If I hear there's a really good commercial, I'll watch it the next day. Quality of Super Bowl games is generally pretty low.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The ads should not be allowed on that site before the game happens...that's my biggest sticking point, Tridus.

You put the ads on the site after their 1st live airing.

Spoil nothing, you know?

=P
But they can't get the ads on there without the advertisers providing them. That site actually leads to Superbowlcommercials.co, which is an American site that has the ads early anyway.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I personally only watch the game - I'll be watching the game starting on my DVR around 7:00 to 7:30 to skip all the commercials and halftime show. I just want to see the game.

Do the same thing during every regular season game - for a 1pm game, I start watching at 2pm on my DVR and by 4pm I'm caught up with skipping through the commercials - get a free hour of my life back every weekend!
I use the 30 second skip on my Bell 9242 to skip to the next play--most games take about 75 minutes to watch. But the Superbowl will take longer, because I like to watch the commercials along with the game.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You do realise that many advertisers actually pre-release their commercials prior to the big game...universally too.

Just look at the USA Today website.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's really all about making more out of their $5 million investment...something that says "We're official, this is company or product in the Super Bowl"

Of course, there are a lot of teaser ads too, a sneak peek at what will debut during the game.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I guess I could live without the original commercials during the Super Bowl, but I have to say that I HATE simsubs. If I want to watch the US channel, it should come with the full content, including the commercials. And if I prefer the Canadain version of the same programming, that's fine too.

Simsubs are way more than commercials. So many time in the past, I had problems with audio quality of these simsubs (they are supposed to be the same as the original, but that is not always the case). Also, late switching sometimes misses the beginning of the show. These damn simsubs (other than the price) were one the reasons I switched from cable to OTA, and I was really happy with OTA for a few years. Unfortunately, I moved to an area where OTA is very hard to receive, so had to go back to cable, which does have some incentives anyway (channels exclusively available on cable).

I think it is time to put an end to these ridiculous simsubs. Leave the US channels as they are.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dear Reader,

I have been fighting this fight since before there was a browser for the internet. [early 90s?], but I take the opposite view. Without the CRTC, I would not have had a 40 year career in Canadian TV. I would have paid less taxes, bought cheaper goods, etc. That goes for the 100,000+ of media workers in Canada over the same time period. Think of the 'Auto Pact'.

Bell purchased the rights to NFL with certain absolutes[?] known, one was they would be able to amortize the cost over 'X' number of years by selling commercials on all the games they broadcast. The Super Bowl means big bucks. Cutting this stream of revenue in the middle of a contract is a very bad gov't decision. The lay-offs this week at Bell could be a direct result of this decision. It's a tough job market out there, folks.

I have no professional connection to Bell, now or before I retired. No matter what you think of Bell and it's policies, this affects your neighbours, their children and all the Canadian businesses where less money is spent.

Your views are welcome.

81 - 100 of 460 Posts