Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'd do that too, if I had to watch the lame Canadian commercials. :p

The American ones are interesting, have high production values, and are part of the experience. The rerun of the one for Franks Diner is not.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just a friendly reminder there are no simsubs on the OTA antenna.

Watch the SuperBowl using an antenna, tune into the US Network carrying the game, and you will see all the US commercials.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I don't remember where I read or heard this, but feel free to prove me wrong:

Apparently the length of a US commercial/commercial break is different to what is standard in Canada, which is why you see those little in-house advertising bumpers playing before it abruptly crashes back into the US telecast.

I could just be pulling s**t out of my ass though.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I buy commercial time on local Canadian channels and understand the commercial breaks on U.S. stations and Canadian ones are the same length (typically 30 second blocks) - however, the difference in those breaks is that local stations get 10-15 second segments during a break for local info such as a quick weather update, or what is coming up on the news.

Canadian channels typically re-sell these mini-spots to advertisers - probably the most Canadian way of doing this is the "Closed Captioning brought to you by BRAND XYZ" spots, however, some channels do use the break for local updates.

Different channels also split up ad time differently - major networks typically have about 16 minutes per hour of time, with about 15 minutes for advertisers. Some specialty networks have 20+ minutes of pure advertising spots available in Canada.

For the Super Bowl (I can only speak for Canadian advertising), the ads are split between national and local ad breaks, and the rates vary with the more you buy. I assume some of the large breweries and car companies buy the biggest chunk from CTV at a discount well in advance, and smaller companies pick up the scraps through re-sellers. The ads that don't sell become full length spots for CTV, or probably other Bell products, and the local spots that the U.S. affiliates have for news/weather updates typically during NFL games become small bumpers for other CTV programming if they do not sell them.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Some speciality channels have 20 minute...
I guess that explains why CBC's Documentary channel has more ads than program. My remote can skip 3 minutes and I have to FFWD after that.
Curse them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The 20+ minutes are pure advertising - you also have to note that most programming, including the Super Bowl, has all the other advertising built into the program (Pepsi half-time show, Chevy Post-Game show, Home Depot tools to the game, Bud Light hit of the game, logos on jerseys, branded apparel being worn by the announcers, etc. etc.)

It's only time until the NFL starts seeking more cash, and sells adds on the field and sidelines like the CFL, and eventually will have branded jerseys that many soccer clubs have, and even targeted local ads like MLB and the NHL have overlayed onto the broadcast.

Global even tried to do the overlay on the field with Harvey's ads and other advertisers during the Super Bowl about 10 years ago - that was one year simsub was horrible for Canadians.

It will probably come to the point where we count the seconds per hour that advertising doesn't exist.

The NFL is probably the best for not having continuous advertising during the game - other then jerseys and shoes that aren't blatant.

I always laugh when sports, like Formula 1 that I am a fan of, advertise that they have advert free races on some foreign networks - when the race name, cars, and everyone involved is walking billboards...

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think the NFL specifically avoids on-field advertisements, with few exceptions like Gatorade, Microsoft and Bose. It has big enough TV contracts that all advertisements are directed towards the TV.

By the nature of its game, soccer needs jersey sponsors as its game only have 15 continuous minutes to put TV ads on.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There's only 11 minutes of actual action in a football game. Plenty of time to cram more ads in to the 180+ minute broadcast. ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for the TRIPLE post here(dunno how to edit my posts...help? @[email protected]), but this is what CTV has planned for Super Bowl LI.

SUPER BOWL LI to be Broadcast in Triple-Simulcast for First Time Ever on CTV, CTV Two, and TSN, February 5 ? Bell Media

There's one section that has me a bit ticked...that BigGameAds.ca site they're going to run.

That's called trying to sabotage what the CRTC decided.

I hope the CRTC steps in, and shuts that site down, as it is, to me, clearly run by Bell.

> = (

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The CRTC can't shut down a site can they?

This is what concerns me the most:

10 p.m. ET (approximately) – FOX SUPER BOWL POST-GAME (CTV, CTV Two, and TSN and simulcast with FOX)
The networks deliver the complete SUPER BOWL LI post-game celebrations, featuring the awarding of the Vince Lombardi Trophy.
Let's hope the game doesn't run long (don't they all though???) or we'll lose the Fox feed right at 10 PM and possibly some of the ads.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I can't believe that there is a need for a website to aggregate advertising so people can watch foreign ads at their own will...

·
Registered
575 Posts
They're aggressively promoting a $150,000 giveaway too. Yeah, will the thought of a chance at winning something be enough to make me watch through CTV instead? You know that basically only OTA viewers (well, those who can't pick up a Fox station OTA) and streamers are going to watch it off CTV, right?

61 - 80 of 460 Posts