Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oops, yes you're right. Global has applied to upgrade CIII to 100kw post-transition. In any case, that will be a wee bit better than the current 3kW ;)

And it is official! Quebecor is applying to the CRTC to develop a new 24 hour cable news station. They will convert the existing SUN TV CKXT 66.1 to this new format. So OTA in this area may get its first 24-hour news station.

I wonder how long it will take. I couldn't find the application at the CRTC website. Given how many people SUN TV has already hired, you would think they plan for this to happen rather quickly. (They've hired Kory Teneycke (formerly Chief of Staff for the Prime Minister), Krista Erickson (CBC), David Akin, Brian Lilley but Rick Mercer turned them down.)

I want to see the application to the CRTC. It's not clear if they will continue broadcasting SUN TV OTA or just convert it into a cable-only channel.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
The press release on Quebecor clearly states that the news station will replace the SUNTV OTA station. However, it doesn't indicate whether or not they intend to stop broadcasting OTA once the new format commences. And I can't find the application on the CRTC site as yet.

Is the French-language equivalent, LCN, available OTA? If not, we may have our answer: SUNTV OTA may go dark...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Here's the media's scoop on Sun TV News

TORONTO - Quebecor wants English Canadians from coast to coast to get used to the name Sun TV News.

It's aiming to be a significantly different voice on the Canadian media scene.

As was announced Tuesday at a media conference in Toronto, Sun TV News is the label that has been given to Quebecor's newest media project.

It's a TV news channel that wants to "challenge the existing English Canadian TV news establishment," according to Quebecor Media president and CEO Pierre Karl Péladeau.

"Far too many Canadians are tuning out completely or changing their dials to American all-news channels," Péladeau said in a statement.

"They're opting out or switching over. That's not good for Canadian television. It's not good for Canadian democracy. And it's not good for Canada itself.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2623766
On June 1, Quebecor Inc. submitted an application with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a "Category 1 Specialty TV licence" for Sun TV News, to replace the over-the-air Sun TV station in Toronto.
This sounds like they're opting out of OTA entirely and hoping for a Category 1 Specialty TV licence for Canadian Cable News [CNN style]...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I believe that "Category 1 Specialty TV licence " is for BDU only.

I found this. But it doesn't say anything about OTA.
A Category 1 specialty channel is a Canadian specialty television channel which, as defined by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, must be carried by all digital cable and direct broadcast satellite providers that have the capability to do so. Canadian content levels on Category 1 channels are required to be at a minimum of 50 percent.

Like older specialty television services licensed prior to digital channel capacity expansion, Category 1 channels are protected as to format. They have been licensed to broadcast within defined formats which are not provided by or overly close to existing protected channels, and Category 1 formats are protected themselves from close direct competition from Category 2 channels, the junior category of digital channels which was introduced at the same time.

It is expected that, henceforth, most or all new Canadian specialty channels will be licensed as Category 2 channels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_1_specialty_channel

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Sun TV

If Sun TV goes BDU (and drops the OTA), I'll have no regrets, and more, it might help in getting WUTV since 15.1 will be empty except for LP WBNF and far away WEWS.

Alternatively, SUN could ditch 15.1 and stick with 66.1, but ramp it up like Global is doing, however, I think 66.1 will move (Aug-2011), hopefully not to 15.1!!!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
66.1 has applied to use RF40 when CFTO vacates that frequency. But in light of the current situation with SUN Tv News, this may all be moot. I hope they stay OTA, but I have doubts.
Sun Tv's current license allows them to program the station with all news if they like. I guess they only need to apply for Cat 1 status to go national. Its possible parts of Ontario will get it OTA but the rest of Canada will get it via BDU only. I hope this is the case. By the way, staying OTA guarantees them carriage in most of Southern Ontario which is the largest tv market in Canada, plus gaurantees them a prime spot on the dial. If they are denied Cat 1 status they can stay OTA in Ontario, go Cat 2 and negotiate carriage in other parts of Canada, plus fee for carriage as well. Staying OTA is really win-win for them.

·
Super Moderator
4,486 Posts
SunTV is available outside of its OTA contours.
SunTV HD is available in most large markets on EastLink Cable.
(For example, Most of NS/ PEI, Grande Prairie, Goderich).
SunTV is available on Bell as well.
However, SunTV is not available to Shaw Direct customers.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
When I first heard this I was hoping they were creating an additional News channel, so there would be Sun-News, and Sun-TV, but now it seems they are taking down their current broadcasting format and replacing it. That really sucks for those of us who are only OTA. I watch quite a few shows off of the SunTV network, and with SunTV gone, it will mean less cool shows to watch. I agree that we need better news reporting in Canada, but why get rid of the original SunTV?!?

That's really sad. I hope it's not so.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Probably because not a whole lot of people watch SunTV in comparison to the other networks. Besides, I heard CHCH is picking up many of the shows on SunTV, so all is not lost for you.

·
Banned
844 Posts
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion on this whole Sun TV issue and most of that is Quebecor's fault as they have been very vague in their announcements so far. Here is my interpretation:

Quebecor is looking to shut down Sun TV and give back the OTA license to the CRTC. In exchange, they want a Cat. 1 (must-carry) license for their news channel. If approved, Sun TV will cease to exist and there will be no more OTA- Sun TV News will be strictly a specialty channel, like the other news channels.

Now the part that is not clear is what happens to Sun TV in the meantime until a decision is made on the application (which wil take months BTW, based on how the Commission functions)?! I presume that they will actually launch Sun TV News on the Sun TV frequency as an OTA service BUT only temporarily! Once their application is approved (that is far from certain given their request for must-carry status), they will shut down Sun TV and continue operating Sun TV News using the newly acquired specialty channel license.

Hopefully that makes things a little more clearer, although quite a bit of that is speculation on my part :p

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yes I read that about CHCH picking up the SUN-TV shows too. That would be fine if they do because they are supposed to stay OTA and should go high def digital. I found this information:

On June 14, 2010, Channel Zero (current owner of CHCH-TV, which it acquired after the E! system folded) announced it was acquiring the rights to virtually all of the first-run U.S. series that had aired on CKXT during the 2009-10 season, including Smallville, Supernatural, 60 Minutes, and Jimmy Kimmel Live!. This essentially frees the station to implement a new format if it wishes. The announcement came amidst speculation CKXT's parent company Quebecor was planning to launch a new news channel featuring conservative opinion programming, with some of the rumours suggesting that the Toronto station might be involved in the new venture.
They haven't mentioned "The New Adventures of Old Christine", but that show (which I loved) has been cancelled anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
CHCH is basically grabbing most of the shows that SUNTV currently carries. Good stuff. We really don't need SUNTV now...

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I wonder if Channel Zero bought the national rights. If so, I wonder if they will sell the local rights to CHEK in Victoria. It would be a win-win as they wouldn't have much to loose and they gain some cash.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
True, with this good news, we won't need SunTV. I just hope that CHCH starts up their digital OTA channel before SunTV takes theirs away so that I won't miss my shows in HD. :)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
No way Sun News should get mandatory carriage if they stop OTA.Talk about a guaranteed income.Just stick the cost onto everyones cable bill.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts