Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
I'm not sure if it's just Bell or if others will be dropping Sundance Feb 28/18.

Note - As of February 28, 2018, Sundance will no longer be offered in Canada by the content provider and therefore will be removed from your programming. If you have it through custom pack, we will add a replacement channel that you can change any time. For questions or if you wish to add, modify, cancel or extend your services, please call 1 866 310-BELL.
I'm not sure who owns Sundance but I haven't seen any press release regarding Sundance shutting down? :confused: :surprise

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Confirmed by Telus: https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/optik-tv-service-updates

Sundance Canada is owned by Corus, which has commented that it had too many channels after the purchase of the Shaw Media assets.

I'm not familiar with "Kids Plus On Demand," but I think that the content is probably provided by Corus as well, since they own so many kids channels.
Posted January 8, 2018

Sundance Channel update
Due to channel provider changes, as of February 28, 2018, Sundance Channel (channel #453 HD/#9453 SD) will no longer be available. The channel will also be removed from the Favourite Films Theme pack...

Posted December 29, 2017

Kids Plus On Demand channel update
As of February 28, 2018, Kids Plus On Demand will no longer be available. The channel will also be removed from the Kids Time Theme pack.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
On the Sundance website, two of the featured programs are Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. I mean, I like British comedy as much as anyone, but if that's the signature stuff on the channel, it's not a surprise that it's going under.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
CORUS

As of March 1, Sundance Channel Canada will no longer be available.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and hope that you will enjoy similar content on our IFC and MovieTime channels, as well as explore new content on our many specialty channels.

Your Service Provider will be able to answer any questions you may have about your television package.

Thank you for your viewership.
www.sundancechannel.ca

·
Registered
23 Posts
Various Canadian Cable Companies Rogers, Cogeco, Videotron, Eastlink, Access and Westman Communications should make a deal with AMC Networks about bringing the U.S. Cable Pay Specialty Channel Sundance TV (formerly Sundance Channel) to their digital cable channel line up as part of the list of Part II Eligible Satellite Services and Part III Eligible Satellite Services and part of the list of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list).

Sundance TV is a U.S. Cable Specialty Channel that made its on air launch as Sundance Channel 23 years ago on February 1, 1996. Sundance TV carries off network TV shows like The Andy Griffith Show, Law & Order, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M*A*S*H*, All in the Family, The Bob Newhart Show and Criminal Minds. Sundance TV carries Sundance TV Original programming like Close Up With the Hollywood Reporter, Deutschland 83/86, Liar, No One Saw a Thing, State of the Union, This Close, Back and The Name of the Rose. Sundance TV also carries Box Office Movies from the 7 major film studios like Columbia Pictures, 20th Century Fox, MGM Studios, Universal Pictures, Walt Disney Studios, Warner Brothers and United Artist. Sundance TV has a HD digital signal in at 1080i (HDTV) and 480i [SD] virtual PSIP in Standard Definition 24 Hours a Day/7 Days a Week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sundance is available in Canada: Computing, Canadian TV and Home Theater Forums. It seems that it was not widely publicized. But the Sundance service has been available in Canada. The price is $6.99 per month, or $59.99 per year, with a seven-day free trial.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Sundance TV has a HD digital signal in at 1080i (HDTV) and 480i [SD] virtual PSIP in Standard Definition 24 Hours a Day/7 Days a Week
Again, there is no point in carrying a channel like Sundance TV because most of the programming would be blacked out or replaced in Canada with alternate programming. Also PSIP is not a standard that is used in delivery of headend signals to BDUs. PSIP is just metadata that is sent within the transport stream. Cable systems do not need this because programming information is supplied by EPG provider and is not part of the transport stream.

·
Registered
593 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts