Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
This should be no surprise as category 2 channels are virtually rubber stamped now. Quebecor now has to try and get carriage.

edit:

The licensee shall operate as a Category 2 specialty service until 1 September 2011 and thereafter as a Category C service.
Okay what is a Category C service?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a short explanation in the Sun TV News decision:

9. As noted in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-562, until the regulatory revisions required to fully implement the policies set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 come into effect, new entrants are being licensed as Category 2 services. The Commission will shortly be issuing a notice of consultation setting out the proposed regulatory revisions to implement the policies set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100. In that notice of consultation, competitive Canadian mainstream sports and national news specialty services will be designated as Category C services.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Quebecor now has to try and get carriage.
Are you suggesting that they will have a hard time getting carriage- I doubt it! ;)

Shaw Cable/Shaw Direct will add it to appease the large Conservative base that exists out west. Bell & Rogers (the jokers of the pack) tend to add pretty much any channel they can get their hands on so I would wager that they will pick it up as well. Oh and of course Videotron is a lock since their parent company owns the channel.

The key thing is not whether they will get BDU's to pick it up, its where will BDU's place the channel- basic package or in a theme pack?!

Two things to keep an eye on now:

1- What happens to Sun TV- will they shut down or will they use it to simulcast Sun News to OTA viewers?!

2- Will they keep the name 'Sun News' or perhaps hook up with Fox to launch Fox News Canada?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
They may think twice about closing down CKXT, they could turn that into a semi-news channel and an advertising platform for SUN News, carrying some of their programming and perhaps movies and other fare the rest of the time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Would they be allowed to simulcast Sun TV news on Sun TV without a separate licence? It would be a good way for them to give a sneak peek at the channel in hopes of attracting subscribers in the future.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If history is any kind of indication... Sun News is a cat2 channel so it will go into a package. Rogers will likely pick it up right away and bundle it with similar channels or in the pick'n'pay selections. Bell will hold out because they don't want to put it in an existing news package (where Sun wants it placed.) When it does launch on BSTV, it will be a $2.50 add-on and also part of a theme pack. That package will either be new or an existing, low subscription rate package with a bunch of totally unrelated channels. That means BSTV subscribers will have a choice between paying more or dropping another theme pack.

Sun TV will become Sunset TV in and go off air January. This has already been announced by Quebecor. The only thing that might save it is if a buyer comes forward.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Would they be allowed to simulcast Sun TV news on Sun TV without a separate licence? It would be a good way for them to give a sneak peek at the channel in hopes of attracting subscribers in the future.
As part of CKXT's license, they are allowed to show news programming and in many threads on this site since Sun TV News has been announced this has been discussed to death... could they do it, yes, will they do it, long term no because they want to get out of the OTA business, but short term they may do it to maintain the low channel allotment and give people a free preview, then when they do shutdown CKXT people who have become acustomed to the station will say WTF and demand it either be included in a package or sub...

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
From the CBC story:

Run by Quebecor's TVA Group and Sun Media divisions, the new right-leaning network will replace the over-the-air Sun TV station in Toronto and have its headquarters there.
So from that, it sounds like they're going to just either rebroadcast, or shut down Sun TV entirely.

·
Registered
606 Posts
God I hope all the BDU's put this in a package.

It'll be a great calling card to encourage left wingers to cancel cable that I've been planning if they're forced to pay for this channel.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
From the CBC story:

So from that, it sounds like they're going to just either rebroadcast, or shut down Sun TV entirely.
There is no question that SunTV's days are numbered... the only question is when they will shutdown the OTA station and if they will use it as a temporary rebroadcast...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Category C ?

So will they be on a level playing field with the likes of the other news networks like what they were fighting for or will they be stuck in the corner of some obscure digital cable package that almost no one subscribes to?

I really hope they keep their OTA stuff going with their news format and look to the future at expanding out west OTA. I know this is highly unlikely however.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hope that it will broadcast in HD not like CTYNews Channel which I do not watch because it is only in SD. CBCnewsworld is in HD.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
So will they be on a level playing field with the likes of the other news networks like what they were fighting for or will they be stuck in the corner of some obscure digital cable package that almost no one subscribes to?

I really hope they keep their OTA stuff going with their news format and look to the future at expanding out west OTA. I know this is highly unlikely however.
They just got a standard category 2 license, it's up to them and the BDUs to figure out where to put it now. The other news networks will be in a similar boat when the licenses change over (protection in that segment of the market is going away).

This is a channel I'd consider picking up, depending on cost. But I certainly don't want a $10 package of other channels I never watch to get it.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw puts it in their digital tv lineup for all customers with full cable like many of their other newer channels.

·
Banned
844 Posts
What they should do is launch the service now via Sun TV until the full channel launches in March 2011 (the rumoured launch date). This would give them some instant exposure and allow people to get a taste of what this channel will be like. Also, Sun TV is available on Bell TV so that gives them national coverage as well.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
None of the broadcasters care about ota as it costs them money to produce tv networks and free tv doesn't pay the bills. So all you guys hoping and dreaming Sun TV stays on the air need to get your heads out of your ass, it ain't happening, so stop dreaming.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It would make some sense, from a business perspective, to keep one OTA channel active. Niche stations do OK in major cities but Quebecor does not seem to be interested in that. From a regulatory perspective, Sun would need approval to simulcast their CAT2 channel. I don't think they asked for that so Sun TV is probably going dark. It's too bad, Sun TV did a decent job but there's not enough market space in Canada for more than about three major networks, including CBC.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
If I where the CRTC I would have them having to keep SUN TV going and run SUN TV NEWS as a seperate channel forcing them to have two channels.

If the owners of SUN TV have the money to run a all news channel then they should have the money to run two tv channels.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts