Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite launching in the middle of a federal election, the new Sun News Network has so far had little impact on the Canadian news scene.

Despite drawing poor numbers, this station will likely continue to stay on the air because we pay for it through digital cable and satellite fees.

The Quebecor venture launched April 18 after months of "Fox News North" buzz and had an estimated 37,000 viewers across Canada tune in for its initial half-hour, when it hit the airwaves with a splashy promise of "hard news and straight talk."

Showcased commentator Ezra Levant's "The Source" rated highest with an estimated 31,000 viewers on opening night, according to BBM Canada overnight estimates provided by sources.

That total had fallen to 12,000 by Wednesday, with less than 1,000 viewers in the coveted 25-to-54-year-old demo. By this Monday, a week after launch, Levant's show was up to 19,000 viewers.

By the end of Sun News's first week, shows featuring Winnipeg-based radio host Charles Adler and Ottawa-based journalist Brian Lilley were drawing 4,000 and 5,000 viewers across Canada in their evening slots (Adler had opened the week with 31,000 viewers and Lilley with 17,000).

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Great. We get to pay for another thing we don't watch.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Who said you have to pay? Right now, it's being shown on an OTA channel, so the BDUs pay nothing for it.

The only way you'd pay next fall would be if your BDU picjs up the channel, and packages it in a news tier that you are already paying for.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tvlurker, your point is well taken.

Instead of saying

"this station will likely continue to stay on the air because we pay for it through digital cable and satellite fees"

I should have said

"this station will likely continue to stay on the air because we'll probably pay for it through digital cable and satellite fees.

My cynical guess is the oligopolistic service providers will add Sun News to their News packages and add 50 cents to the cost of the package.

Until we have true a la carte pricing, I fear many customers will really have no choice but to pay a bit more for this or be forced to get rid of their "news' Package.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I don't think it's fair to judge whether the station will be successful based on its first week. I think that's true of most startup stations or networks.

That said, I found what I watched to be dreary and dismal with no journalism at all and commentary that was just loony (with the exception of the Solberg/Kinsella back and forths).

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
I have always considered "Sun News" to be an oxymoron. As I recall, you'd buy the Toronto Sun for sports and the Sunshine Girl. For news, you'd get the Star or Globe.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Sorry, Hugh, I wasn't commenting on your post, but rather JamesK's:
Great. We get to pay for another thing we don't watch.
But you're right - you probably will pay if you get an extra news package (meaning, for example, for Rogers VIP something other than CBCNN, CNN, CTVNN, RDI, CPAC, or BBCWorldNews)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it's fair to judge whether the station will be successful based on its first week. I think that's true of most startup stations or networks.
Second week actually.

Trivia time, my first job was a Media Estimator followed by a Media Buyer so actually have some experience here. ( I used to buy Radio and TV in Boston and took a big gamble one year on a new TV Network called Fox)

When CTV News launched it had about 8 to 10 times as many people watching and the audience stayed with it and grew

The weak start to Sun News and the significant drop-off in the second week suggests to me that the network will be a failure (from an audience perspective) unless it gets a major overhaul.

The weak start is not fatal but the drop-off really indicates problems

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Sun Ratings

How does the numbers compare to what they had with Sun TV ?before the News

·
Registered
379 Posts
To be fair though, CTV had a much stronger national brand in 1997 than Sun has now. Outside of a few major cities, the Sun brand is relatively unknown nationally. As far as their Sun-branded dailies go, they have zero presence in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, or Atlantic Canada, and no English presence in Quebec.

I've never associated the Sun brand with news. And I don't think a market the size of English-speaking Canada can support three national all-news channels plus the regional CP24 in Southern Ontario. Even the United States only really has three all-news channels (CNN, MSNBC, FNC), and few major markets have more than one regional all-news cable channel, such as NY1.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be fair though, CTV had a much stronger national brand in 1997 than Sun has now.
Hence why the low numbers in week one are understandable. The problem is the huge drop off after week one which suggest that people aren't impressed with what they have seen.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I tried watching Sun News on the second day and was very unimpressed. What I saw was no news and fluff talk. If it's remains that way, it's going down in flames.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm enjoying watching The Source with Ezra Levant, The Caldwell Report and Charles Adler. Those top-notch shows aren't enough though to keep it all going 24/7.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm hoping the numbers go up as they tell the truth about Layton. Their reporting on Layton's bawdy house visit outshone the CBC's limp cover-up.

But... audiences go where they're the most comfortable, and that isn't the Sun.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm not at ease with digging up 10+ year-old non-stories on politicians. It was out-of-line for Rob Ford, and it is again for Jack Layton.

This kind of stuff is what what keeps normal people out of politics. Do I care if my PM ever toked on weed? No.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm hoping the numbers go up as they tell the truth about Layton. Their reporting on Layton's bawdy house visit outshone the CBC's limp cover-up.
The truth? Decade plus old accusations that didn't even merit enough for charges.

This is yellow journalism from the Sun and if Hugh is right that this channel winds up on the tiers you can bet those BDUs who bundle this channel will face a boycott campaign from Avaaz.ca or perhaps even the NDP themselves after this nonsense.

I know providers like Rogers and Bell who haven't added the cable channel have won brownie points with me after this Layton hachet job.

·
Registered
462 Posts
From what i watched i found it quite negative and one sided. I'm not a liberal or a ultra conservative im a moderate. I found it to be to the right of fox news. I also found it to be boring. fox news has an agenda but they make the shows exiting and interesting. I also find fox news to have some alternative view points shown. being that sun lacks all this im not impressed at all.

however being a cable news junkie i welcome a new channel, i hope it gets better. the negativity really turns me off.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts