Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike the other threads discussing the application process, its approval, and CKXT's OTA status, this thread is designed to discuss off and on-air developments with Sun News not related to those matters.

Although this would normally wait until the day before/of the launch, since developments regarding programming are now becoming public, I thought it was time to get it going.

Sun News Network has lost Mercedes Stephenson, one of its prime-time anchors, just days prior to its launch. A spokesperson stated that Stephenson was not suitable and that the split was a mutual arrangement.

Stephenson who is a columnist and military analyst had been hired to co-host a political series called "Daily Brief" with David Akin, the Sun's national bureau chief in Ottawa. The show will continue with Atkin being the sole host.
http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/issues/story.aspx?aid=1000407755

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Sun News Network’s debut represents the first launch of an all-news channel on Canadian TV in more than 13 years.
On Monday, one of the first faces Canadians will see on Sun News is conservative provocateur and author Ezra Levant, host of a show running at 5 p.m. ET called The Source.

Each evening, the channel will feature a series of news-and-views shows hosted by colourful personalities such as talk-radio fixture Charles Adler; many of them will wear their opinions on their sleeves.

It’s a populist formula that Fox News and CNN have perfected – one that’s spelled success in Canada for journalists who couldn’t be considered right wing, such as Jean-Luc Mongrain at Quebecor’s French-language news channel Le Canal Nouvelles (LCN).
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/here-comes-the-sun-news-network-will-it-shine/article1986979/

·
Registered
170 Posts
It’s a populist formula that Fox News and CNN have perfected – one that’s spelled success in Canada for journalists who couldn’t be considered right wing, such as Jean-Luc Mongrain at Quebecor’s French-language news channel Le Canal Nouvelles (LCN)
And this statement isn't political?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Looks like Ch213 will be Sun News as of 6am Monday. The Guide shows "First Look" listed as a News Show, then most of the following hours appears to be news as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, OTA or not?

G&M article says this:

"Shortly before the supper hour Monday, an upstart TV news channel will hit the airwaves in Canada"

Last time I checked air means air, not cable. I hope it goes OTA, although I don't know why, it's probably just rehashed stories, but I can add another claim to my free channel lineup!..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Goodbye Sun TV... Hello Sun News

The very last program for Sun TV was an infomercial at 5:00am. After that, it was followed by a Sun TV ID, where it showed "You are watching Sun TV" and the CN Tower. Then there were three ads. And finally, another Sun TV ID (this time where it showed a tram surrounding the cars and people walking on the sidewalk) where the announcer said "You are watching Sun TV" marks the end of the road of this channel, without any mention that Sun TV will return on August 31, before switching to a Sun News Network countdown which begins at 5:30am. That countdown took 11 and a half hours to launch Sun News, which officially begins at 5:00pm. (Note: I'll give you the names of an informercial and three ads later on.)

This is a kind of final moment of Sun TV which took place today (Monday, April 18). It will return to normal programming on August 31 because Sun News Network were simucasting on that channel.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
It is channel 517 classic lineup in Shaw Direct, on F2 in 8PSK (meaning you need an E-dish, and 209/319, 505/530, or 6xx receiver).

·
Super Moderator
17,029 Posts
Channels

Here are the current channels from their Facebook page:
Here's an update on where you will be able to watch Sun News Network starting at 4:30 p.m. ET on Monday, April 18.

Bell TV - Channel 213
Shaw Digital - Channel 177
Shaw Direct - Channels 149 and 517
Shaw Cable (Hamilton) - Channel 21
Rogers (Toronto) - Channel 15
Rogers (Ottawa) - Channels 66 or 142
Cogeco Cable (Hamilton) - Channel 16
Videotron - Channels 79 and 679

NOTE: Channels can vary by market. Check your local listings for either Sun News or Sun TV and you’ll find us! If you can't find it, call your local provider to make sure they offer Sun News ASAP!
and latest Tweet:
Launch update: pre-game show with Krista Erickson at 4:30pm ET, Ezra kicks-off with The Source at 5PM ET. #sunnews

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As 2415 said, it looks like Sun TV becomes Sun News. My local paper (owned by Sun Media) just moved the Sun TV listing down from the "Canadian Broadcast" listings to the "News" listings and the programming is as advertised in the full page Sun News ads.

At least for now it looks like my Rogers Cable will provide Sun News at no extra charge, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Shaw Cable will only carry it as a 6-month free teaser. We shall see. If a cable or satellite network only provides this as an extra cost option, not standard, like CBC News, CTV News or CNN, only those who are cheerleaders or critics will subscribe. I don't think the CRTC should allow cable or satellite networks to filter news programming based on ideology.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of media articles over the last 72 hours on the stations launch... For those in Saskatchewan, note the article that says they are negotiating carriage...

Quebecor Media Inc.’s new Sun News Network will air its programming on the company’s Toronto conventional station Sun TV to deliver the all-news channel into Ontario living rooms.

The Sun News Network, a new Quebecor specialty channel slated for launch Monday, has so far only reached carriage deals with Shaw Communications Inc. and Quebecor’s own cable distributor, Videotron Ltée., Serge Sasseville, vice-president of corporate and institutional affairs at Quebecor, noted in a brief interview Friday/
http://www.thewirereport.ca/reports/content/12293-quebecor_to_replace_over_the_air_sun_tv_signal_with_all_news_channel_programming

Draw the curtains, secure the locks and hide the kids: the Sun News Network is about to premiere.

The ambitious venture, which launches Monday at 4 p.m. ET (check local listings), has been more "winning" than Charlie Sheen when it comes to generating headline-making publicity.

Margaret Atwood was creeped out by all the "Fox News North" rumblings and signed a petition against it. Retired CBC newsman Don Newman groused it was the end of Canadian journalism. The hysteria, fanned in the pages of the Globe and Mail as well as on Facebook, was a network executive's promotional dream.

Now that it is here, is Canada ready for Sun News to shine?
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gHuLaUvgNdbxfS6xkb3Rranx_9tw?docId=6591953

Shortly before the supper hour Monday, an upstart TV news channel will hit the airwaves in Canada: the brainchild of a former Harper government spin doctor and a Quebec media billionaire.

The Sun News Network’s debut represents the first launch of an all-news channel on Canadian TV in more than 13 years.

Conceived by Kory Teneycke, a former director of communications for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, the channel is bankrolled by Quebecor’s Pierre Karl Péladeau and modelled on the right-leaning U.S. network Fox News, as well as Ted Turner’s Cable News Network (CNN).
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/here-comes-the-sun-news-network-will-it-shine/article1986979/

Quebecor’s announcement last June that it planned to launch a conservative all-news channel was greeted with protests, petitions and pleas for regulators to deny it a licence.

When Sun News Network launches on Monday, we’ll get a better idea of whether it will be a bright light or, as its critics fear, a black mark on the Canadian media landscape.

As its motto states, the network plans to be a bastion of Hard News and Straight Talk, with the former on offer between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m., and the latter from supper hour onward.
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/eyes+turned+News+conservative+channel+launch/4623738/story.html

Saskatchewan may soon be getting it's own taste of Fox News.

Sun TV News, which is dubbed as "Fox News of the North" by some, is set to launch in Quebec and Ontario on Monday. But it might only be a matter of time before Saskatchewanians get to tune in. Access Communications said its viewers will get the channel after negotiations finalize.

"When it starts, it's initially only going to be available to certain communities, most of which are in Quebec and Ontario, through a fibre-optic network," said an assistant to Jim Deane, CEO of Access Communications in Saskatchewan.
http://www.leaderpost.com/entertainment/News+coming+Sask/4620470/story.html#ixzz1Jt6waNmT

The right-wing Sun News Network is set to launch later today with a promise of "hard news and straight talk."

Dubbed "Fox News North" by critics, the TV station's on-air personalities include conservative pundit Ezra Levant and Winnipeg-based talk-radio host Charles Adler.

Sun News Network officials say the new venture will balance what they see as a "lefty bias" in traditional media. Quebecor CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau has also argued that the other Canadian news networks are boring and are driving viewers to U.S. network CNN.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5i9sa5-zieqIEp7yocgFs83JO5Exg?docId=6597332

Sun News Network went West for its first major distribution deal with a cable or satellite television provider.

The upstart TV network, set to launch later today, originates from TV studios in downtown Toronto. The channel is owned by Quebecor Media Inc., based in Montreal.

It announced last week that Shaw Communications would offer the news-and-talk television channel to all of its customers in Western Canada and Ontario for a six month free preview after the channel debuts on April 18.
http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/issues/story.aspx?aid=1000408059

Sun TV, Sun News, Sun News TV, whatever we decide to call it, premieres today.* Of all the TV cable channels/shows/etc. this one has certainly attracted the most attention.* Good on them for that.

In the hype and lead-up to the debut, this “news service” has often been referred to as Fox News North.* Quebecor has only minimally challenged this allegation.* Margaret Atwood, perhaps distracted by the penmanship of her “long pen” for a brief moment actually thought that’s what it was going to be called.*
http://www.610cktb.com/blogs/lfedoruk/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10227713

Today is a great day in Canada.

Not a Confederation kind of day, or an Olympic hockey gold medal kind of day, but a great day nonetheless.

Today the Sun rises on Canadian TV, bringing a new perspective to the news landscape.
A new TV network launching, even one owned by the company I work for, in and of itself doesn’t make for a great day. But after months of criticism and downright consternation, it’s nice to see the switch flipped and thumb our noses at people who suggested there’s no place on Canadian airwaves for the Sun.

Yes, despite living in a country that espouses freedom of speech, there have been people who wanted to see the whole thing shut down, sight unseen.
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/dave_breakenridge/2011/04/18/18028116.html

At 4:30 p.m., I’ll be watching SunTV (Channel 59 on Rogers) for the launch of the Sun News Network. And no, no one is paying me to promo the channel. I’m just as eager to see what the channel will look like as everyone else, and I think competition in news is only ever a good thing — everyone else will have to step up because of the new competition, I think. I can’t say I agree with everything (anything?) some of the Sun News Network pundits say, but it should make for interesting watching.
http://www.lfpress.com/blogs/tangledweb/2011/04/17/18027111.html

·
Registered
694 Posts
Is it just me or does the Sun News Network need better HD cams? The PQ looks like its upconverted.

EDIT:Now that I look at it it definitely is upconverted, why would the start off a new News channel broadcasted like this? You would think they would want to start it to look as good as possible and that means using HD cams which it doesn't look like they are.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well, they've launched and here's what I have to say so far.

First, I will give them credit for going 16:9 on their SD, as I believe all channels should be 16:9 on both HD and SD feeds except when showing older content in it's original aspect ratio. There's no excuse to not be 16:9 in 2011.

Now for the negatives. Their graphics package, of what I've seen so far, sucks. Their music is out-dated. Lastly, their picture quality isn't that good. It looks "over-exposed", or something.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.