Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb here, not a big budget, ~$400, trying to decide whether I should go with HTIB or build own.
I realize that the quality in HTIBs lacks, but I'm not sure if I can put together a decent receiver, sub and 2 speakers around that budget though.

Welcoming all suggestions, experiences and any deals out there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
A few questions to narrow it down:

-will you want to expand to full surround sound (5.1, 7.1) at some point?
-what components are you hooking up?
-do you value sound quality over convenience?

Unless you score a sweet deal or are willing to look at the used market, $400 isn't going to get you very far with a proper receiver + speaker package. Even the most basic 5.1 receivers start at $300, and you won't get a decent new pair of speakers for $100. However, you never know what you'll find on your local online classifieds. For example, last year I purchased a pair of Polk Audio floor-standing speakers for $30. They were $300 to buy new. Just need to know what you're looking for when searching.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll def look through the faq and maybe through the classifieds as well.

I guess to answer Cooper's questions:
- In my current house I will not be expanding to 5.1 or 7.1, don't have the space for it, rec room is fairly small.
- Currently gonna be hooking up, 50GT25, PS3, Wii, satellite receiver.
- I would say for the space, convenience is a priority over sound quality, hence the small setup that I am looking for.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
How about a soundbar such as the Sony HT-CT350? It's under $400 (don't pay attention to the price on Sony's website) and has 3 HDMI inputs. Its smaller sibling, the HT-CT150 has excellent reviews.

I still think a proper 2.1 w/ receiver setup will provide superior sound, but it might be more hassle than it's worth, especially if you won't be adding speakers for a full 5.1 surround system down the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard good things about the Sony soundbars, and I like that idea, although I'm not sure if it would work in my setup.

I'm not sure how many posts I need before I can attach a picture, but I can't fit it underneath the TV so could I install it above and angle it downwards? Wondering if the sound would be transmitted properly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are looking for great sound and great components, I would recommend looking for used individual components and speakers. At your budget, you might be able to get a decent 2 speaker system but your budget might be a little tight for a good subwoofer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
to answer your question: Build your own. You probably won't get anywhere near the performace for the price. Find someone who knows how to woodwork to help you make the cabinets. Anyone with experience with be able to do that blindfolded (make a box).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
to answer your question: Build your own. You probably won't get anywhere near the performace for the price. Find someone who knows how to woodwork to help you make the cabinets. Anyone with experience with be able to do that blindfolded (make a box).
By "build own" the OP did not mean actually physically construct a set of speakers with his own hands...

·
Registered
226 Posts
woooops. I read this: "trying to decide whether I should go with HTIB or build own" and assumed "build own" meant DIY...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To conclude this thread, I ended up picking up the Onkyo HTX-22HDX HTIB from Canada Computers for $224 +tax.

Very happy with the system so far and was very easy to hook up. It's got 3 HDMI ins and allows expansion to a 5.1 system if I ever go there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts