Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in a couple of month's time i will be moving into my first home :). Here is what i am currently running for my voip system.

Provider: voip.ms
Phonesystem: Homebuilt ATOM based Asterisk PBX
Handset: Polycom Soundpoint IP550

I am looking for suggestions on additional handsets. I would love to get all soundpoint 550's but at 250-300 bucks each it's not something i can afford. Any other suggestions (rang of the 80-140 range would be ideal) Probably looking at an additional 5 phones.

Phone System Specs

Supermicro X7 based Atom 525 Board
4GB Ram
80GB WD Scorpio Blue HDD
1U RM Case
Dual port Intel Nics
Asterisk Now+Freepbx

·
Registered
877 Posts
Very, very, nice :) I would be very interested to hear about the power consumption of your PBX if you have a Kill-a-Watt around to measure it with.

Aastra makes some excellent phones with several under $100. For example, the 6730i is around $70...and it supports G.722! The company is even Canadian.

Edit: Or consider the 6731i if you require PoE.

m.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a kill-a-watt thing right now. But i used the meter built into my UPS and i think the usages on the pbx was around something like 30 watts on idle and 50 watts on full load.

However i have discovered a much cheaper alternative for the hand sets. I found a company out of montreal that sells the polycom soundpoint ip 321 with a power adapter for 90 bucks each which saves alot as i wouldn't need a POE switch. Cost me around $500 bucks for 5 hand sets after shipping and taxes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mango, FWIW, I'm running Asterisk on Seagate Dockstar converted from its proprietary software to Debian Linux. It has a Marvell ARM processor and draws about 5-7 watts, depending on USB disk drive activity. Memory is tight (128MB), but with my light use of Asterisk, it is enough to allow not only that app, but several others. (I am also running a DNS server, apache, samba, and use the box to record and stream digital programming.) Another alternative is the SheevaPlug, which has half a GB of memory in a different form factor. If you want more information, let me know.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you are still interested in Polycom sets, there are cheaper alternatives than the IP550. You can consider the IP450, IP335, IP331. You might still find some of the older IP330s out there.

As for your PBX, I used to use a trixbox. But then with voip.ms you can set up sub-accounts, and have them all work under the main account. I use 3 Polycom phones along with my Linksys ATA which is connected to a wireless base station with 4 DECT 6.0 sets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok bit of an update. I have received the additional phones and decided to go with a POE switch. I also got a kill a watt. With all 5 phones, poe switch and pbx plugged in on idle draws around 50-65 watts. Loads spike to around 70 but settle down quickly on boot. Here is the gear.

Motorola SB6120 Modem
Linksys WRT54GL w/ Tomato 1.28 (QOS Enabled)
Netgear Prosafe FS724TP (12 port poe)
Connected to 1x 550, 4x 321.

I picked up the POE version of the phones which were around $78 each from direct canada.

All i need to figure out now is faxing and possibly alarm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts