Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem seems to have fixed itself. I tried the apps again a few hours later and they worked fine, even for channels which you can only watch at home. I haven't had any problems with the setup the last couple of days.

Wanted to confirm why you are changing the wireless settings for 2.4/5ghz? what is the point of that exactly? I mean, the additional boxes you have for wireless stbs are connected by access points usually?

Anyway. Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drops

I set this up a couple days ago & all seemed to be working great till tonight, Now i have the same issues as a previous poster where the picture drops after a couple seconds & i have to leave the channel and come back to start it again. AC3100 everything hard wired. The only difference is I am not using a dedicated switch just for the TV boxes. Going to try that as I have a second cisco 24 port in my rack as a spare/back-up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On another note, recordings don't seem to be working tonight either!! Once a channel has started recording, it can't be viewed, and the recording is a black screen if you view it after its finished!

·
Registered
5 Posts
On another note, recordings don't seem to be working tonight either!! Once a channel has started recording, it can't be viewed, and the recording is a black screen if you view it after its finished!
Just to update my situation, after removing my asus, hooking up both my asus and the actiontech, then just the actiontech, and still having the same issue, i figured there was something wrong with the telus optic boxes, so as I'm hooking up my Asus back to how I had it I realized i hadn't restarted the telus fibre-optic modem......once restarted, everything is working great!! So just incase anyone has issues down the road, be sure to restart all equipment !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
One last post I think! After a few days of testing, everything seemed to be working good for 2-3 days, then back to loosing signal after 10-15 seconds until a channel change, where it would be the same problem....

I ended up having to get a 5 port netgear GS105E (supports IMGP snooping / Multicast) to separate my STB's from My network. I expect It may have had to do with my Procurve 1810G not supporting management of multicast, From what i've read my previous issue with loosing signal on any given channel after about 10-15sec was related to the Multicast stream starting, since I've added the second switch and moved my IPTV to a single port on the AC-3100, everything seems to be running smooth again, the PVR & STB's have IP's outside of my network.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just want to add my experiences here. Wasn't able to get the Linksys EA9500 working via custom VLAN configuration, but the Netgear Nighthawk X8 worked easily via "VLAN - bridge group" and just selecting the port.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to extend my appreciation to tehPrOfessOr for sharing his experience and knowledge on how to configure your home router to bypass the Actiontec T3200M (Telus provided) gateway. I recently had Telus install their Optik TV service and at the same time has our internet upgrade to fibre optic 150/150. Initially, I was excited to be getting the faster internet, not to mention the vastly improved "up" speeds and unlimited data. But once the technician had installed the services I was very disappointed with my 'disconnected' home network vs. the Optik TV network. Many of my devices did not perform the way they used to (slow to respond) and some just stopped working all together, not to mention that I had just recently upgrade my network to a mesh system. I thought I was tech savvy enough to figure out how to bypass the Telus supplied router, like I had done in the past - but to no avail. After days of searching on the internet for a solution I finally came across this post and followed it to the letter and VOILA! - everytthing was through my network and working as it was supposed to. The Actiontec T3200M is now collecting dust in the closet.

Many thanks tehPrOfessOr.

SelfTaught.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks tehPr0fess0r

I used all of your settings on my system that replaced the T3200. I am now using two Asus RT-AC68u and are online and connected to a PVR and 2 STB's. The only difference is that I was trying to initially use the Ai Mesh Node as a connection point for my PVR as they are in the same entertainment area. It kept on freezing the picture and stating that i've lost signal. I think this is because the node is given a different IP address from the router when connected as a node. I ended up using a dedicated ethernet separate from the node that came directly from the router downstairs and all is well in the world! If I didn't run extra wires upstairs then I guess i would have had to connect wirelessly or attempt to change the nodes IP address to match the routers. That is a little out of my league though. Has anyone else fiddled around with an Ai Mesh system and connecting it to telus fiber and Television? I'd like to know if this is possible. If i didnt have spare wires I don't know what I would have done.

Thanks a lot everyone on this thread. I've learned a lot!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
For those of you on Asus routers, has anyone setup a VPN and if you connect remotely to home on your mobile devices, and once you are on Home VPN network. would the Optik TV app allow you to watch those channels only available at home (Telus main IP)?

·
Registered
193 Posts
My Asus GT-AC5300 router doesn't have the "Enable efficient multicast forwarding" function. How important is this feature? Is it essential for this setup to work?

IPTV tab settings in RT-AC56U config:
ISP Profile: None
STB port: None
DHCP routes: Microsoft
Enable multicast routing: Enabled
Enable efficient multicast forwarding: Enabled
UDP Proxy(Udpxy): 0

·
Registered
193 Posts
One last post I think! After a few days of testing, everything seemed to be working good for 2-3 days, then back to loosing signal after 10-15 seconds until a channel change, where it would be the same problem....

I ended up having to get a 5 port netgear GS105E (supports IMGP snooping / Multicast) to separate my STB's from My network. I expect It may have had to do with my Procurve 1810G not supporting management of multicast, From what i've read my previous issue with loosing signal on any given channel after about 10-15sec was related to the Multicast stream starting, since I've added the second switch and moved my IPTV to a single port on the AC-3100, everything seems to be running smooth again, the PVR & STB's have IP's outside of my network.
Hi @clowrym Thanks for sharing your experience. Just wondering in your final setup, are you able to watch all the "in-home only" channels on your Optik TV app when connected to your own router?

Somehow from my testing, putting the STB on its separate vLAN means losing access to the "in-home" shows on Optik TV app when connected to own router.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never used this with Optik, so I can't comment on whether I can connect. I will set it up and try it out when I get home.

On your previous post, I have an RT-AC5300 that does show the multicast forward option, Its kind of odd they would have it removed on your model

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an R8000. I'm confident I can run any hardwired boxes to eliminate the Telus router. I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in connecting one of the 4k wifi boxes though? Maybe it's not possible.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts