Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can confirm that the Nextbox3 WILL work with a Standard TV. Out of interest I dug out my old Commodore 64 Color monitor, powered it up and connected a cable from the Composite Video output of my Nextbox3 to the Composite Video input on the monitor and the picture came up fine. This was in parallel with a 1080P picture displaying on my HDTV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi fellows and thank you for your help with my problem. Was out this afternoon and will begin reading and following through with all your recommendations as they pertain to my TV and PVR 3.0.
James I'm afraid I don't know what 'NB3' refers to in this instance.
Allan thanks so much for posting the photo of the back of my RCA TV. I tried for a good half hour last night trying to locate a photo of the RCA television.
Will keep you posted with my results.

Thanks,
Oaky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My actual setup does include a Toshiba DVD video recorder (model DVR620KC) and the red, white, yellow cables run from the PVR 3.0 into the DVD player and out of there and into my TV. That is how I have the PVR 2.0 connected and it works fine.
I left the connections exactly the same, as previously mentioned, for the PVR 3.0 hook up.
I will follow through with the suggestions now, beginning with Allan, and leaving the red and white disconnected and only using the yellow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When I plug the yellow cable in alone on the box and into either input 1 or 2 on the back of the TV, I get no results. I made sure to switch the TV to the proper input as well, depending which input the cable was plugged into on the back of the TV. Actually when I press input on the TV's original remote, it reds 'VID 1' or 'VID 2" on the screen. I'm assuming that means input 1 or 2.

There is no "S" Video port on the back of the Rogers PVR 3.0.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
57 thank you for your post. I tried and ensured everything was connected as you mentioned in your post.
Archer thank you for that info-much appreciated.
gdkitty, not sure what you mean?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay gentlemen.
I removed the red, white and yellow cables from the DVD video recorder and went straight into the TV with them (bypass the recorder altogether) and got both the picture and sound (input 1).
That is great news and a sense of "finally" or "at last".
Thank you to everyone of you who helped me solve this problem I encountered. Sometimes it can be so darn frustrating.

Now can someone tell me why I am able to have the PVR 2.0 work fine while going into the recorder and then into the TV with the composite cables but yet in order to get the PVR 3.0 to work, I have to bypass the recorder? That doesn't make sense unless there's an input 1 or input 2 on the recorder itself, which I hadn't switched to input 1. It's practically a brand new Toshiba DVD recorder. Would that make sense, that there is an input 1 and 2 setting on the recorder that has to be indicated when I'm using input 1 on the TV?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for that DSgamby.
Here's an added piece of information pertaining to the PVR 3.0 not working with the composite cables plugged into the recorder. I just went back and ran the 3 cables into DVR recorder again and out of there and back into the TV. Again no picture and sound.
However as soon as I turned on the recorded, both picture and sound obtained.

So why does the PVR 2.0 work with the recorder turned off and the PVR 3.0 only works if the recorder is turned on? Again might there be a setting in the recorder that needs to be on for the PVR 3.0 to work with the recorder not having to be on?

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
James I'm afraid I don't know what 'NB3' refers to in this instance.
The PVR model that's currently available is called "Nextbox 3" by Rogers. The previous model was "Nextbox 2". I don't know why you were referring to them as PVR 2.0 and 3.0.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Actually that's exactly what both the Rogers tech support team and the Rogers store staff refer to the box as: PVR 2.0 and PVR 3.0.
So that's it; all is fine here on the home-front now.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
oaky.

You do realize that you gave misleading information when you started this thread. You did not mention an interposing DVD recorder in the connection between the Nextbox3 and the TV. Suggestions to you would have been vastly different from the outset if you had.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
... I just went back and ran the 3 cables into DVR recorder again and out of there and back into the TV. Again no picture and sound.
However as soon as I turned on the recorded, both picture and sound obtained.

So why does the PVR 2.0 work with the recorder turned off and the PVR 3.0 only works if the recorder is turned on? Again might there be a setting in the recorder that needs to be on for the PVR 3.0 to work with the recorder not having to be on?
I had a similar setup and discovered that the recorder had to be powered on to pass the signal through to the TV with composite cables. It would work in pass-through mode when it was powered off and I used the coax connection. I left my recorder powered on 24x7 for many years with no problem. No mechanical parts were moving, so it shouldn't cause any additional wear and tear.

I've never had Rogers, so I can't comment specifically, but my guess is that both your Toshiba recorder and Rogers Nextbox 3 are sensing to see if anything is connected to decide whether to turn on the electronics for that circuit. Since they are both off, neither one turns on. Maybe the Nextbox 2 wasn't as energy efficient and sent the signal to all outputs all the time. Just a guess.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Now that the recorder info has come up...

Someone else on the rogers forums, has brought up an issue with trying to record the OUTPUT from the NB3 into a VCR...
When just throughputting through the VCR was fine... BUT, when they tried to record.. would get nothing.

I am wondering, if the NB3 is outputting some form of copy protection signal which the PVR or VHS player is picking up.

(I know this used to happen often if you tried to chain VCRs and copy a store bought tape.. would scramble or show nothing.)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts