Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used set of 5.1 Mission M2V a short while ago.I'm happy with the speakers,but I'm noticing a low pitch vibration at certain frequencies from the subwoofer.It's not noticable most of the time.I took the sub box apart and found a piece of wood had come lose,but that wasn't the problem.It appears to be the speaker itself.There is no visible rips or damage.
Is it worth trying to find a replacement speaker , or just replace the whole sub ?? Is there a store in Calgary where I might find a replacement ??
Do I need a Mission repacement speaker , or a speaker with similar specs ??
I would like to go with the cheapest option.

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You're assuming the problem is the sub driver, it could very well be an amp issue. Can you provide a link to the sub?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never thought about that. I'm in the middle of six 12 hour night shifts and at work a lot of websites are blocked.I'll try from home if I can stay awake...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It might also be possible to repair the drivers. A loose voice coil it can be re-attached with some adhesive. A damaged suspension can also be replaced. Here is an article on speaker repair. You might also be able to find someone with experience repairing speakers or an audio store that does repairs. As the article says, you don't have much to lose if you are planning to replace the drivers.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a local speaker repair person.I'm going to drop off the sub on Monday.

Thanks for all your help !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a bit of an audiophile (coming out of the newb stage more like, lol), and do know a little about receivers and speakers. But I'm not very experienced in troubleshooting speakers. Wondering if anyone can chime in and maybe give me some pointers so I know which direction to go.

I've had my Quest Q Movies III 5.1 surround for almost 3 years now, and they've served me well. But last Sunday, I woke up and walked into my living room to a loud low rumbling like sound. I then realized it was coming from my sub-woofer. I have to switch it off to eliminate the feedback. I've gone as far as unplugging it from the receiver, but when I turn it back on the feedback is still there. So I'm guessing it's the sub. It's been turned off since. There was no problem prior to that morning, and all the other speakers work fine.

Now from others' experience, is this something that I can fix myself, have it sent in for repair, or write it off and get a new sub? If I can fix myself, what do I need to be looking out for to fix?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It could be the sub cable. Try disconnecting it from the sub. If that doesn't fix it, there could be a problem with the sub's amp or power supply. If it's the power supply, that's often a fairly cheap fix involving replacement of some capacitors. If it's the amp itself, it can be repaired or replaced but the cost depends on the make and model. Replacing the power supply and amp is usually fairly easy and can be a DIY job. You might want to price a replacement and compare the cost to getting the existing one fixed at a local repair shop (usually about $100 for labour + parts.)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update..

The sub was repaired while I was on vacation.The problem was mechanical.I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.Cost is about $45.
I'm looking forward to the result ! :cool:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up the sub today.DW is home, so I did a quick sound check between Oprah and Dr. Phil ,and all appears to be good ! :D

I'm working tonight, so I'll conduct a more thorough check tomorrow.

So , for $300 I have myself a 5.1 speaker set up that I'm happy with! :cool:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Performed a full sound check yesterday with a few BD's and music.
no more rattles.
Sub sounds great ! :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well , sub died again.Getting a constant buzzzzz now.
I suspect the amp's gone. Disconnected it from the AVR.Tried using different wall sockets etc.
Time to upgrade ! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just decided to replace mine when I realized I had to replace the actual speaker. Would have cost me about $150 to get it fixed, so I decided to check Craigslist. Found a guy in my area selling his 3 year old Sony sub for $40. Been working great with my current system. This sub is actually better than my previous one.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm probably going to buy new this time.The Mission sub is small and will probably cost a bit to fix. I could upgrade to a better sub for under $300.
Just going to save my pennies , and watch for a sale in a month or so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts