Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the holidays I purchased a new amp Yamaha RX-A2000. I was using an Onkyo TX-SR 806 before and all worked well. Anyway I hooked up the new amp along with 5.1 surround setup & all 7 components I have all HDMI thru amp. My speakers are as follows 2 Cerwin Vega CLS15 for the front 1 Cerwin Vega CLS-6C center channel, 2 Cerwin Vega CLS-6 rear speakers and 1 Cerwin Vega CLS-12s sub. I double checked all connections and and ran the speaker test and it was saying woofer 1 out of phase all the time which also cut 90% of the bass. I could not figure it out as I never had this problem with the other amp using all the same connections. Finally just for the hell of it I unplugged the sub from the powerbar I was using and plugged it into the back on the surge only side of my APC smart ups 750SMX and that solved the problem right away. I just can't figure out how moving the plug from one power source to another would have anything to do with it especially since it was working before the way it was on the other amp. Im just happy its all working great now, but maybe someone out there can tell me how it would work that way.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Do not plug subs into the battery backup side of a UPS. Subs generate surge currents that can overload the UPS and cause other side effects. I plug my sub directly into the same wall outlet as the power bar and UPS so it is not affected by line filters or affecting other equipment on the filters. Powerful A/V receivers can have similar effects. It's best to use a power bar that has separate line filters for each component instead of a common filter. Do not put high demand components or components with power transformers, such as subs and A/V receivers, on the battery backup side of a UPS unless the UPS is specifically designed for these components.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
He plugged it into the surge only side, not the battery side. I have no idea why this would change the phase though, unless perhaps the other outlet is wired incorrectly or the outlet that the UPS is plugged into is incorrect because it would not be good to have two different outlets wired differently.

Most subs have a phase switch or control on the back, but I couldn't tell if this one does after searching about 5 websites. Different wiring or incorrect grounding in various outlets is also not good. It's amazing how often we come across these sorts of bad wiring in houses on this forum.

Also, minor positioning changes in any of the speakers can often be misread by the auto setup mics as out of phase.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Misread the post. Thought the plug was moved from the backup side of the UPS to the surge protected side. My mistake. I still stand by my advice though. ;)

Probably just a "feature" of the sub. Glad it now works.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes my sub does have a phase switch. I never tried it though as that never occured to me until after I got it working. I have my amp, sub in the surge only side of the ups and the tv directly into the wall. I only plug my sat receivers & PS3 and BD players into the battery side. I still can't see how this happened though.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Could you have accidentally tripped the phase switch?

I would provide surge protection for the TV. That includes protection from outside sources such as RG6, network and telephone lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts