Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned on the stereo today and immediately noticed the lack of base. Sub wasn't working at all (no power) so I decided to open up the back. My panic attack was quickly subsided when I saw it was just a blown fuse. After a quick trip to radio shack I thought problem solved, unfortunately 2 fuses later and it appears to be a bigger problem then just a blown fuse.

So, do you think this is fixable or is it time for a new sub??? argg, now's not the time I want to put more money in the home theater but I guess I'll have to one way or another. :(

Here's more detailed info for those of you that know about this kinda stuff and might be able to help.

- didn't notice the first fuse blow, just noticed sub wasn't working when I turned the stereo on today
- new fuses that blew were rated the same as the old one and they matched the rating stated on the sticker inside the sub
- I replaced the fuse, plugged sub into same (surge protected) power bar, turned power bar on, blew fuse. Repeated procedure with same result. Both times no audio connected.
- Volume has always been kept low cause I live in a condo, I had it set high enough it filled out the sound spectrum but low enough it wasn't shaking the neighbours walls (ugh I can't wait till I can afford a house and crank it up!) so it wasn't abuse that ended it's life.
- sub is a Dahlquist QX10T, an impulse buy a couple years ago before I got interested in Home Theatre. Maybe a lemon? will do a little research before my next purchase, although I'm really hoping I won't be forced into one now...it was working quite well for my purposes.

THANKS!

Michael

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
You know the parts that make up electricity: proton and neutron, well there is a third one that isn't as popular but very harmful. I'm talking about the homotron. This one goes around blowing fuses...:eek:

Seriously, I'd say you have something creating too much draw on your system. It could be a failing transistor or leaking capacitor. Check for any capacitor that seem to have a round head instead of a flat head. At this point, it could be anything. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Blown fuses are often also caused by a "short". It's often a small wire that's touching something it shouldn't. See if you can spot anything like that with the back open.

I would have said the speaker wire, but you say it blew when that wasn't even connected and that usually shorts the receiver, not the speaker..

I thought that electrons had something to do with electicity. ;)

·
Banned
218 Posts
mcmg said:
I turned on the stereo today and immediately noticed the lack of base. Sub wasn't working at all (no power) so I decided to open up the back. My panic attack was quickly subsided when I saw it was just a blown fuse. After a quick trip to radio shack I thought problem solved, unfortunately 2 fuses later and it appears to be a bigger problem then just a blown fuse.

So, do you think this is fixable or is it time for a new sub??? argg, now's not the time I want to put more money in the home theater but I guess I'll have to one way or another. :(

Here's more detailed info for those of you that know about this kinda stuff and might be able to help.

- didn't notice the first fuse blow, just noticed sub wasn't working when I turned the stereo on today
- new fuses that blew were rated the same as the old one and they matched the rating stated on the sticker inside the sub
- I replaced the fuse, plugged sub into same (surge protected) power bar, turned power bar on, blew fuse. Repeated procedure with same result. Both times no audio connected.
- Volume has always been kept low cause I live in a condo, I had it set high enough it filled out the sound spectrum but low enough it wasn't shaking the neighbours walls (ugh I can't wait till I can afford a house and crank it up!) so it wasn't abuse that ended it's life.
- sub is a Dahlquist QX10T, an impulse buy a couple years ago before I got interested in Home Theatre. Maybe a lemon? will do a little research before my next purchase, although I'm really hoping I won't be forced into one now...it was working quite well for my purposes.

THANKS!

Michael
I had the exact same experience with my 2 Infinity Modulus Servo subwoofers a few years back, one dying after the other (fuses kept blowing after replacing them)... At the time, I asked a shop that originally repaired these subs for Infinity and they said it was a known problem with the electronics of these subs. I decided it was better to get a new sub than have them repaired as the tech guy in the shop said the parts for the subs are no longer available.

This is why I decided to go with Paradigm with my new sub... From my research, Paradigm appears to make pretty reliable subs and if something goes wrong, it will be easier to get the sub repaired as both the dealer and manufacturer are in Ontario.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses,

I checked over the circuit board, there is nothing visuably wrong, eg no odd looking capacitors, resistors, connections or loose wires, but that is where the problem is.

Inside sub: power source --> fuse --> transformer --> circuit board --> speaker

I disconected the transformer --> circuit board connection to rule out a transformer/power source problem and the fuse survived. Then when I reconnected the circuit board (still no speaker connected) and tried again it worked for the longest time yet...3 whole seconds until my hand barely touched the volume knob. :(

I'll phone Dahlquist tomorrow, if they don't have a solution or it ain't cheap, sub shopping I shall go...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts