Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stupid question: "9", what is it about really? + "Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"

I watched "9", more than once actually... liked it, but what is it about really? Anybody gets it?

another one that I don't get AT ALL is Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
A war about man versus machines...that's all I can get as well. The characters were cute but story wise, my wife and I both have a different view of what it really is about.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The story is kind of open-ended, and the conclusion doesn't really offer much in the way of explanation or closure. The way I like to see it is that the film is a story about redemption i.e. the 'Scientist', having created the machine that ultimately destroys humanity, creates -and imbues his own life force- to his rag-doll creations, while also leaving them with the means to destroy the machine.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, that's exactly how I feel. It's seems like it's a fragment (a story telling genre where there is no real story, just a part/fragment of a full story) rather than a movie.

How about The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. I like weird, but I can't seem to even go halfway through the movie. It's just too weird for weird's sake.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
As for The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, I haven't seen it but I know they used 3 characters to replace Heath Ledger. I would assume that would add to the confusion of the movie. Wasn't it directed by the Monty Python guy? If so, it can't be as weird as Baron Von mancheusan or something like it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I saw the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Directed by Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python and directed Twelve Monkeys and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas).

I liked it, but not sure I'd watch it a second time. Was visually stunning. Not confusing in how they incorporated the 3 actors to replace Heath Ledger. Very hard to explain though.

The ending wrapped things up well, but still kind of felt empty. Though I think that's how it was meant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts