1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The results really aren't that surprising. 24 person sample size is really small, and almost all ereader users agree that it takes 100 - 300 pages to become adjusted to reading on the electronic devices.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how to insert my cardboard bookmarker on my kindle...:eek:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I wonder if the fact that it was a short story made the effect of slow page turning refresh time more noticeable on the electronic devices?

(By the way Hugh, nice work on the front page. I followed the link and didn't realize I was still on DHC until I went to click on the link at the bottom of the story. The new(?) front page looks great)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
hrm

I'm curious what the difference would be if you were to read 10 books on each

the big benefit for me is having all my media with me at the same time, and always having a book when i've got a couple mins

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I don't actually own any e-reader. Just out of curiousity, how long does it take to load when you turn it on? I would say that would be a pain having to wait each time you feel like reading a page or two.

The old fashion way is so much simpler, IMHO.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Interesting study...

For myself I don't notice much of a difference. I also enjoy the convenience of being able to carry several dozen books with me (even if I can only concentrate on one at a time) without needing a suitcase w. wheels.

Danster: My kobo takes ~45 seconds to boot up from sleep mode. The iPad takes less than half that time. For me the main difference is remembering NOT to throw the reader on to the couch or coffee table when I'm not using it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now have experience with the iPhone, iPad, Kobo and PC. My anecdotal findings tend to concur with the findings. Paper is just easier, less pressing and the format is always perfect.

Despite the downside, the cost and convenience has me using ereaders more and more.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My Sony Reader takes approximately 2 seconds to turn on. And page turns are the same speed as manually turning a page. Only issue with that is I have to change page each page rather than every two pages, but I don't think it adds appreciably to the time. In fact I hit the page turn button when I'm starting the last line on a page and by the time the change refresh happens I've read the last word and am starting to read the next, so technically it's reducing my reading time rather than the longer pause with paper books.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The big thing I like with eReaders is that I can adjust the font size to suit my eyes.

As for load times, in "power save" mode, it takes about 2 seconds for my Sony Reader Touch. If I do a full power off to save battery power though, it takes more like 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I find it takes me a lot longer to get through a book on my Kobo. Funny to come across this thread. I'm on vacation this week and it's been bothering me that I haven't been able to get through my usual amount of books. I can generally read a book a day on vacation. I find it's taking me 2-3 days to read one on my Kobo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts