Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an antenna connected to my TV. On some stations I show high "bars" (signal strength) but then the screen reverts to "no signal" message.

Any thoughts as to why?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Greater Vancouver area.
The channels are: 28-1, 28-2, 28-3, 28-4

Again, I'm interested to understand signal strength vs reception.

On a couple of other stations, it appears that the signal strength is less, based on "bars" shown, but I get good viewable reception.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Those 4 channels are out of Bellingham. If you can move your antenna around, see if you can find a spot where they come in better, the signal may be coming in from more than one direction (ie you are receiving the signal direct and from a bounce off of a building nearby). The main channel on that is KBTC, a PBS signal from Tacoma that is re broadcast from Bellingham in high definition. I sometimes have trouble with that signal, but most of the time it comes in clearly. The channels are actually broadcast on 24.1, 24.2 etc., but then the tv remaps them to appear as 28.1, 28.2... as those are the numbers the channels have in Tacoma. The signal is south of here, I am in West Coquitlam so I need to point my antenna south and a little west.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am in West Coquitlam as well👍
Thanks for your thoughts.

I receive signals from Bellingham channels on the 24's.

Still don't understand why strong signal (high bars) but no reception.

Any technical thoughts?

57 - Unnecessary Quote Removed.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I could be due to multipath which can make strong signals unusable. It could also be caused by interference such as harmonics or adjacent channel interference from very strong local signals. These could make the signal appear stronger than it actually is. As S40 said, try reorienting the antenna. If the TV allows direct channel number entry, try that while reorienting the antenna.

·
Registered
498 Posts
BTW: what kind of Antenna are you using?
(passive, amplified, flat, etc.)?
I have a Terk HDa antenna, it is amplified, but I have another one just like it that is not amplified and still get those channels on either antenna. The channels you get on 24.1... are actually broadcast on channel 19.1..., they have the main channel as religion, with a couple of shopping channel with one looking for programming (the tv remaps, or changes the channel number shown on the tv from 19.1 to 24.1). These antenna's are also known as Silver Sensor clones, they look like a mini roof antenna, but are small, some have rabbit ears built in as well but those don't affect uhf signals.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I have an antenna connected to my TV. On some stations I show high "bars" (signal strength) but then the screen reverts to "no signal" message.

Any thoughts as to why?
You said you were specifically speaking of 24-1,2,3,4 from Bellingham?

Notice that all four of those programs listed are delivered by satellite.
Code:
24-1         19.1        1080i        DD2.0 SAP Audio Icon    KBCB    SonLife   
24-2        19.2        480i        DD2.0 SAP Audio Icon    EVINE    ShopHQ   
24-3        19.3        480i (w)        DD2.0     QVC    QVC   
24-4        19.4        480i        DD2.0     JTV    Jewelry TV
If you are tuned to rf channel 19, watching 24-1,2,3, or 4 and have good signal, and one of the programs suddenly indicated "No Signal", the first question you have to ask yourself is the NO Signal message coming from your TV receiver, or is it coming from the TV Station's receiver. Many programs are delivered to the TV station by satellite, or internet distribution. If they are using cheap equipment, to receive it at their transmitter site, often times their receiver will indicate "No Signal" if they lose the satellite signal at their end for instance.

The easiest way to rule out YOUR end for example is tune to 24-1, if the signal is good, while 24-2 or one of the others indicates No Signal, then the "No Signal" message is on the TV station's end, not yours. (eg they are just broadcasting what their receiver is providing).

To prove the issue was on YOUR end... if you lose one of the 4 channels in the multiplex (mux), you would lose them all. That is why they call it a mux.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You were originally talking about channels that come up as 28.1 etc. Those are the ones that are broadcast on 24, the religious channel with shopping networks are broadcast on 19.1. The religious/shopping channels have a stronger signal, but I don't care to watch any of those, but 28.1 is PBS and is worth me watching. If your antenna is small, try getting your antenna as high as possible in a south facing widow and see if your signal is better. Also try rotating your antenna around as sometimes you can clear up the signal. One other thing to try is to take the antenna outside - you will get a better signal and will be able to see if you can get a picture. When trying, give the tv a minute in one spot to be able to lock onto the signal and then display it on the tv.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts