Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Plex is trying a new streaming service search system.

I keep forgetting about this but the AppleTv+ app on the AppleTv searches across all streaming apps as well.

It works really well.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
So does the Chromecast with Google TV, at least according to Google. The reality is that it doesn't work with all services, in particular Canadian services, and often steers you toward a purchase option when the program is free elsewhere. I've seen Prime Video and Rogers VOD do the same. It really makes streaming more expensive when services make you pay for something that you have already purchased.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So does the Chromecast with Google TV, at least according to Google. The reality is that it doesn't work with all services, in particular Canadian services, and often steers you toward a purchase option when the program is free elsewhere. I've seen Prime Video and Rogers VOD do the same. It really makes streaming more expensive when services make you pay for something that you have already purchased.
Appletv+ works with all my streaming services and they are all Canadian. The only one that isn't supported is Netflix.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
That makes sense. I have the Apple TV+ app but not the hardware. I would have liked an Apple TV 4K but couldn't justify the price. Some other streaming devices with similar features are about 1/4 the price. But then you usually get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just got an email from Amazon Prime, of an upcoming price increase in Canada, from the current $79 annually, plus tax, to a new rate of $99 plus tax, on my next renewal date, which fortunately, isn’t until next February. I’m honestly not surprised to see this happening, since the writing appeared to be “in the cards” for a price increase.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
We find much of Netflix's recent content to be of lower quality or just unappealing due to excessive violence or other issues. It looks like the Netflix shows we liked have been dropped, as in moved to other services or not renewed, even though they were popular. The Netflix sub has been replaced by Disney+ and Prime with the occasional sub to another service when something we want to watch is available. Disney+ and Prime (both with 4K) cost about the same as Netflix 4K and feature more shows that we like.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you subscribed to other streamers to replace Netflix or are you doing other things?
I have Amazon but I take the view that's a perk of my Prime service which gets used a lot, also I use Tubi, with the VPN, Tubi US has more options. Antenna for Toronto/Buffalo stations, Pluto TV, again VPN gives more options. My Paid CBC Gem subscription is covered by the Google surveys I get every other day. CBC takes payments from the Google account.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I wonder how much of Netflix’s loss in subscribers was due to their recent price increase, and the fact that they’ve raised prices almost every year? It seems like a strange way to “remain competitive “, to raise prices and lower the quality of their content at the same time. Then, there’s the “Netflix Tax” as well, an automatic increase of 15% in Nova Scotia.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Netflix is caught between a rock and a hard place. It has seen most of its syndicated content clawed back by copyright owners and moved to competing services. It has had to spend massive amounts of money on new content to remain competitive and that has meant massive third party investment and a need to increase prices to keep investors happy. When Netflix was $8/mo, was the only streaming service in town, and focused on producing innovative, high quality dramas, I didn't mind paying every month. Now it seems that Netflix is just throwing money at new programming, regardless of quality, and has significantly increased prices. HBO and Showtime seem to be going the same route so Crave is headed for the axe as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have Amazon but I take the view that's a perk of my Prime service which gets used a lot, also I use Tubi, with the VPN, Tubi US has more options. Antenna for Toronto/Buffalo stations, Pluto TV, again VPN gives more options. My Paid CBC Gem subscription is covered by the Google surveys I get every other day. CBC takes payments from the Google account.
I too have Amazon Prime for same reason as you, I also have Disney+ for 12 months free of charge, courtesy of Rogers, I also have CBC Gem but don't get paid for Amazon surveys.
I find it's worth the 5$ + tax each month.
I recently took Acorn for a month but cancelled after I had seen the series I wanted to see.
There's still a heck of a lot of stuff on Netflix I want to see.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I've still got Netflix - but the reasons are reducing.

It's been a while since I've seen a new series on there worth watching. Content seems to be becoming more limited. Either that or I've become more ignorant about their offerings.

Really, it would only take one good show to stay on my radar.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts