Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Without arguing with some individuals, the cost to Canadians when Netflix was introduced was $9.99. and there was only one package. Most people only viewed it on one connection but multiple connections were allowed but there was no mechanism in place to control it. Now the cost of a Netflix ultra package is $20.99. I guess to some people people it looks like netflix has gone up in price, but others when they see the price difference over the years, even when you put the price number right in their face, they will tell you "your smoking crack, it has not gone up" or they will talk about something completely unrelated to put you down.. either way, netflix is streaming, netflix went up in price, streaming went up in ptrice, which means streaming is not getting cheaper anytime soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Without arguing with some individuals, the cost to Canadians when Netflix was introduced was $9.99. and there was only one package. Most people only viewed it on one connection but multiple connections were allowed but there was no mechanism in place to control it. Now the cost of a Netflix ultra package is $20.99. I guess to some people people it looks like netflix has gone up in price, but others when they see the price difference over the years, even when you put the price number right in their face, they will tell you "your smoking crack, it has not gone up" or they will talk about something completely unrelated to put you down.. either way, netflix is streaming, netflix went up in price, streaming went up in ptrice, which means streaming is not getting cheaper anytime soon.
You think cable or satellite is getting cheaper?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Are we not talking about pricing?

Streaming prices are going up as everyone predicted but so is cable.
Standard 17671 technique. Posts off or loosely related (e.g., why advertising is important for local business) topic content (which no one minds), someone questions or disagrees with the actual content, and then it's "let's stick to the topic".

·
Registered
91 Posts
My only streaming is Amazon Prime which is the same price now as when I signed up. Basically free since I pay for the free shipping anyway.

My Telus internet/tv/landline has been the same price for the last 6 years. I negotiate 2 year contracts.

I haven't watched commercials since they invented the VCR.

I can record 5 shows at once - so I can skip not only commercials - but
the annoying "after the break" or "coming up" or "stay tuned for".

I skip news repeats from yesterday, sports, the weather except the 7 day forecast unless there's snow.
I skip credits and promos and anything else that I'm not interested in.

My remote skips forward 30 secs per click. If I overshoot - the back button is 10 secs to get where I want to be.

I'm paying for the programming and expect no commercials as opposed to trading a fee for watching commercials.

I always block ads on the web since the ad blockers were invented.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you`ve had Telus services for 6 years, were you not subjected to price increases prior to 2020?
One big complaint I see on various forums is people don't want to sign a contract.

I can understand that if the service is an unknown but if it's something good - I want to hold them to a contract.

Our Telus bill sometimes mentions an increase but also mentions that it doesn't apply to those on a contract.

Shaw had a good offer at one time and Telus matched it if I would sign a 2 year contract. I did and every 2 years I re-negotiate it. It stays about the same.

While the regular internet has gone way up - the t.v. has gone way down with the bundle I have.
The landline is now $5/mo including long distance.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
We're waiting to see what becomes of the merger with Discovery & HBOMax.
I doubt much will change, at least initially. The combined company will need to honour prior commitments and alliances. Unless there is a change in company policy or market conditions, new programming will still go to the highest bidder which is likely to be Bell for HBOMax content.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
There's a lot of content missing off Discovery+ in Canada too. We just tried it out and like half of Mythbusters is missing. Episodes that show up on the website give you a 404 if you try and watch them in Canada. It's a farce. This won't get better with the HBO merger thrown in because of the Canadian telecom gatekeepers.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
I wish more US services would start clawing back streaming rights and making all their programming available on their own streaming services. The current situation is ridiculous as it inflates the cost of TV programming in Canada to ridiculous levels and unjustly enriches Canadian broadcasters at the expense of Canadians. But what else is new? Canadians pay up to double or more for most products and services from the US.

101 - 120 of 168 Posts