Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
People keep forgetting the fact that there is no reason you need to subscribe to every service at once. There is only so much you can watch so I'd say if you are on a budget just subscribe to one or two services at a time. The only two services I keep full time is prime video and YouTube. I actually consume YouTube probably more than any other streaming service and the main reason I have YouTube Premium is for the ability to watch videos ad free. Prime I have mainly for the shipping but I do watch quite a few programs on Prime Video. I alternate Disney, Netflix, Paramount, Britbox and Discovery+

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
You must have a lot more restraint than me. If I start a show that really grabs me I don't see much point in turning it off to watch something else .
I think you lose so much when you watch one episode a week as they dole them out. I usually get through a 10 episode season in 3 or 4 nights.
Try that while raising 2 young hyper active kids especially during this pandemic while schools are closed for in-person learning. I Have almost NO Free time for entertainment, so when I DO have a free hour to my self (which is rare) If I watch a show and get hooked on it, I have NO CHOICE but to turn it off and watch the next episode a month or 3 months later if I remember. This is the reality that a lot of people seem to forget. Not EVERY body binges. and if I were to be hooked on binging TV, I would probably (A Lose my job, B) forget to log my kids in online school, C) skip on grocery shopping and errands/chores such as laundry, cleaning. Binging is a real problem, mentally and physically. Now back to our regular scheduled program err topic of discussion

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
People keep forgetting the fact that there is no reason you need to subscribe to every service at once. There is only so much you can watch so I'd say if you are on a budget just subscribe to one or two services at a time. The only two services I keep full time is prime video and YouTube. I actually consume YouTube probably more than any other streaming service and the main reason I have YouTube Premium is for the ability to watch videos ad free. Prime I have mainly for the shipping but I do watch quite a few programs on Prime Video. I alternate Disney, Netflix, Paramount, Britbox and Discovery+
I agree 100% with this, there is NO need to subscribe to every single streaming platform. Myself we only subscribe to 2, which I hate, but my wife loves them so I have to put up with it. I Seldom watch TV or movies but the Amazon Prime benefits me with online shopping and purchases, plus it comes with Amazon Music for free.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree 100% with this, there is NO need to subscribe to every single streaming platform. Myself we only subscribe to 2, which I hate, but my wife loves them so I have to put up with it. I Seldom watch TV or movies but the Amazon Prime benefits me with online shopping and purchases, plus it comes with Amazon Music for free.
What is your problem exactly with streaming? Why do you hate it?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Try that while raising 2 young hyper active kids especially during this pandemic while schools are closed for in-person learning. I Have almost NO Free time for entertainment, so when I DO have a free hour to my self (which is rare) If I watch a show and get hooked on it, I have NO CHOICE but to turn it off and watch the next episode a month or 3 months later if I remember. This is the reality that a lot of people seem to forget. Not EVERY body binges. and if I were to be hooked on binging TV, I would probably (A Lose my job, B) forget to log my kids in online school, C) skip on grocery shopping and errands/chores such as laundry, cleaning. Binging is a real problem, mentally and physically. Now back to our regular scheduled program err topic of discussion
My kids flew the next decades ago so I have the luxury of watching whatever I please and when I please.
I would love to know where you get your information on bingeing being a mental and physical problem.
How exactly would you define bingeing?
I don't turn my tv on until after dinner, so the very most I would spend watching would be 4 hours at a time.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
You already answered the question, your children are grown up you said. The time you are spending watching 4 hours of TV a nite, other families are cooking dinner, feeding their children, taking their children to extra curricular activites like ballet, or gymnastics or soccer, come home, shower/bathe the kids, get them ready for bed, also start to get sleepy but cant go to bed have to prepare tomorrows meals and wash the dishes, then finally go to bed, and repeat the same thing over, also some families have heritage language school on weekends, and more extra curricular sports and activities, sunday is church, visit relatives, etc. where do you see time for binge watching or streaming tv or movies in this equation? like almost no where, if were lucky we can do a 1 hour show or movie on a friday or saturday nite? like I said, i would not have it any other way.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
What is your problem exactly with streaming? Why do you hate it?
If you look at other discussions, you'll see that 17691 has a similarly dismissive attitude towards anything that doesn't fit his particular lifestyle. Games are stupid, music streaming is a waste, etc.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You already answered the question, your children are grown up you said. The time you are spending watching 4 hours of TV a nite, other families are cooking dinner, feeding their children, taking their children to extra curricular activites like ballet, or gymnastics or soccer, come home, shower/bathe the kids, get them ready for bed, also start to get sleepy but cant go to bed have to prepare tomorrows meals and wash the dishes, then finally go to bed, and repeat the same thing over, also some families have heritage language school on weekends, and more extra curricular sports and activities, sunday is church, visit relatives, etc. where do you see time for binge watching or streaming tv or movies in this equation? like almost no where, if were lucky we can do a 1 hour show or movie on a friday or saturday nite? like I said, i would not have it any other way.
I very much doubt families are cooking dinner and feeding their children when I turn my tv on as I never eat dinner before 7.30pm.
I'm surprised with all the things you have to do that you are able to find the time to make comments in this forum.
Nobody was suggesting that you should binge on tv and I would still love to know where you get your information on bingeing being a mental and physical problem
Would also love to know your definition of what constitutes bingeing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you look at other discussions, you'll see that 17691 has a similarly dismissive attitude towards anything that doesn't fit his particular lifestyle. Games are stupid, music streaming is a waste, etc.
That is why I was asking him to clarify what his problem is exactly with streaming. Steaming seems to be ideal for him. Watch an episode one night then watch the next when he gets a chance, if it's 1 week later to 3 months later, the episode will be there waiting for him to continue. Convenient no?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My kids flew the next decades ago so I have the luxury of watching whatever I please and when I please.
I would love to know where you get your information on bingeing being a mental and physical problem.
How exactly would you define bingeing?
I don't turn my tv on until after dinner, so the very most I would spend watching would be 4 hours at a time.
I usually watch about 2 hours of TV a night. I have young children too. Sometimes I watch 2 episodes of a tv show in a row. Is that bingeing?

He might be mixed up with binge drinking. Now that would cause problems.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'm not purposefully trying to be slow but are you saying that if GEM didn't exist, your community would have a local CBC newscast?
Give it up NeilN. The poster has a burr in his saddle about his local TV service and blames it's on just about every possible cause you can name. He's hijacked a lot of threads.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
You must have a lot more restraint than me. If I start a show that really grabs me I don't see much point in turning it off to watch something else .
I think you lose so much when you watch one episode a week as they dole them out. I usually get through a 10 episode season in 3 or 4 nights.
I can understand Digmor. Like him I prefer to watch a TV series unfold over a number of weeks. I enjoy the anticipation of the "next episode". As for bingeing, I can't do it. I find that no matter how much I like a programme I can only watch about a couple of episodes in a row before it starts to get boring if not repetitive. I also find that binge viewing of a series often leads me to the discovery of flaws in the plot, acting, directing even the set design that takes away from my enjoyment of the programme. No. The binge is just not for me. In fact I'd go so far as to say that even if I did get into streaming, I would still set up a schedule that calls for watching one episode a week of a series even if the series was all offered at once.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
The CBC has almost no presence and no local newscasts in a lot of markets. That includes London and Kitchener, two of the top 10 biggest broadcast markets in Canada. We haven't had a CBC affiliated station here for 30 years.
Kitchener hasn't had a CBC affiliate as long as I remember - Wikipedia tells me that CKCO switched from CBC to CTV in 1964 - I don't think this effected their news output at the time.

CFPL deaffiliated from CBC to become independent in the 1980s, also without impacting their news output, at the time (didn't it actually increase local programming for a while in the 1980s?). Then in the 1990s it was sold to Baton (who later became CTV) again boosting local news production.

I don't remember CFPL (and I'd assume CKCO) ever branding their local news as CBC.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I can understand Digmor. Like him I prefer to watch a TV series unfold over a number of weeks. I enjoy the anticipation of the "next episode". As for bingeing, I can't do it. I find that no matter how much I like a programme I can only watch about a couple of episodes in a row before it starts to get boring if not repetitive. I also find that binge viewing of a series often leads me to the discovery of flaws in the plot, acting, directing even the set design that takes away from my enjoyment of the programme. No. The binge is just not for me. In fact I'd go so far as to say that even if I did get into streaming, I would still set up a schedule that calls for watching one episode a week of a series even if the series was all offered at once.
Horses for courses as they say. Good thing everyone gets to choose how and when they watch tv.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
We live in a society where most say "I can finally consume TV in the way I want" most of society thinks this is a great thing. At first, it was super cheap to stream on netflix, then it slowly got more expensive over the years. The low introductory price is what hooked many people over to online streaming and away from conventional TV platforms, Then as more people noticed this trend, they thought to them self, "well, I can be saving this much more money, but instead of watching important stuff like news, weather, current events, ethnic programming, local community affairs, I will watch what ever I want, Its a Deal" people slowly got hooked and their main excuse was to "save money" then as the prices started going up, because of the addictive nature of the all you can eat buffet style service, they want to continue to keep using it, then came the content wars, content was exclusive to some specific platforms if u want you would have to sign up for more than one, most people on average have 2 subscriptions but if u do the math it works out to 1.5 based on mathematical calculations but still, with the increase in subscription and the exclusive content only on some platforms, they have now reached the point of cable, and most people kind of forgot why they got rid of cable cus if they tell u its cus of the price, that was years ago, thats not the case now so they dont know why but it being addictive only benefits the platform owners not the end user. you really think they care if you get hooked or addicted to it? they dont, they will get your money thats all they care bout. either way, enjoy it, no ones telling anyone how to watch TV. Even if your parents tell you too much TV is not good, young kids fight back now and tell their parents to screw off mom I can do what ever I want. Welcome to 2022!

41 - 60 of 168 Posts