Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I've never paid for shipping even without Prime. Free shipping is available with most orders over $35.
So many orders seem to be below $35 though - especially of odd cell phone accessories, and various things during the pandemic, I'd normally have gone and hunted for.

Even a book is seldom over $35.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
The CBC has almost no presence and no local newscasts in a lot of markets. That includes London and Kitchener, two of the top 10 biggest broadcast markets in Canada. We haven't had a CBC affiliated station here for 30 years.
Kitchener hasn't had a CBC affiliate as long as I remember - Wikipedia tells me that CKCO switched from CBC to CTV in 1964 - I don't think this effected their news output at the time.

CFPL deaffiliated from CBC to become independent in the 1980s, also without impacting their news output, at the time (didn't it actually increase local programming for a while in the 1980s?). Then in the 1990s it was sold to Baton (who later became CTV) again boosting local news production.

I don't remember CFPL (and I'd assume CKCO) ever branding their local news as CBC.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
There's other stuff that tends to be on Hulu in the USA. Personally I've been watching M*A*S*H with one of my kids, and rewatching Hill Street Blues for the first time in 40 years.

They have all the Fox library. And as Fox owns MTM, presumably all the old MTM material will slowly appear over the years.

They have all The Simpsons, and apparently recently added 20+ seasons of The Amazing Race.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I thought Hill Street Blues looks great. It was all shot and mastered on film. It looks like they've gone back to the original negatives for each episode (as opposed to rebuilding each shot from the original shooting film), so it's not quite as great as it could be - but better than it was when originally broadcast.

The only time I've noticed anything is on the one-minute "Previously on Hill Street Blues" bit, where you can see the colours fluctuating - they must have used some pretty poor prints to create those back in the 1980s.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I thought the quality was very good for a show from the 1980s, just not as good as some newer shows, especially those shot with 4K cameras.
It's a lot better than many shows from the 1980s - as many were shot using NTSC video rather than film. Others were shot on film, but then edited on video, making it very expensive to rescan with 1080 or 4K scanners.

Compare Cheers (filmed) to Family Ties (taped).

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I've still got Netflix - but the reasons are reducing.

It's been a while since I've seen a new series on there worth watching. Content seems to be becoming more limited. Either that or I've become more ignorant about their offerings.

Really, it would only take one good show to stay on my radar.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I never call Rogers on the phone, I find the chat works much better for me however, I do get calls from them at times wanting me to switch to their cell service so if what you say is true then they had my voice anyway.
Are the calls from Rogers? I've had a few, and I ask them to confirm what services I already have - and they quickly hang up; so the calls I get are scams.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Well here's the thing, if you don't tell them you don't get a better offer.
It doesn't bother me that they know what they need to get under to make me switch. :)
If they aren't aware of your current contract with Rogers, how can they possibly be in a situation to make you an offer in the first place!

The answer is, they are pulling a scam. Presumably the scam bit comes after they feign interest in Bell (how do they even know you are using Bell?)

1 - 8 of 168 Posts