Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
We need a traditional service for the network shows (some are on Paramount+ but delayed), Netflix for Yellowstone and Paramount+ for 1883, with other shows on YouTube and other streaming services which vary depending on the country. Multiply that by 5 studios, 5 networks and dozens of specialty channels with separate licensing agreements for dozens of channels and streaming services in dozens of countries and it becomes a confusing, expensive mess.
I agree with what you are saying but Yellowstone is on Amazon Prime, just started season 4 last night, it's great to view it sans commercials.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think Amazon Prime has a lot of good shows and movies to watch, you just need to do some sifting.
I have Prime for free shipping so anything I get to see there is a bonus.
Just watched season 4 of Yellowstone over the past 3 nights, was a joy to see it sans commercials.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Never understood binging, there,s so little good content now why try to get thru something you actually like so fast?
You must have a lot more restraint than me. If I start a show that really grabs me I don't see much point in turning it off to watch something else .
I think you lose so much when you watch one episode a week as they dole them out. I usually get through a 10 episode season in 3 or 4 nights.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Try that while raising 2 young hyper active kids especially during this pandemic while schools are closed for in-person learning. I Have almost NO Free time for entertainment, so when I DO have a free hour to my self (which is rare) If I watch a show and get hooked on it, I have NO CHOICE but to turn it off and watch the next episode a month or 3 months later if I remember. This is the reality that a lot of people seem to forget. Not EVERY body binges. and if I were to be hooked on binging TV, I would probably (A Lose my job, B) forget to log my kids in online school, C) skip on grocery shopping and errands/chores such as laundry, cleaning. Binging is a real problem, mentally and physically. Now back to our regular scheduled program err topic of discussion
My kids flew the next decades ago so I have the luxury of watching whatever I please and when I please.
I would love to know where you get your information on bingeing being a mental and physical problem.
How exactly would you define bingeing?
I don't turn my tv on until after dinner, so the very most I would spend watching would be 4 hours at a time.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You already answered the question, your children are grown up you said. The time you are spending watching 4 hours of TV a nite, other families are cooking dinner, feeding their children, taking their children to extra curricular activites like ballet, or gymnastics or soccer, come home, shower/bathe the kids, get them ready for bed, also start to get sleepy but cant go to bed have to prepare tomorrows meals and wash the dishes, then finally go to bed, and repeat the same thing over, also some families have heritage language school on weekends, and more extra curricular sports and activities, sunday is church, visit relatives, etc. where do you see time for binge watching or streaming tv or movies in this equation? like almost no where, if were lucky we can do a 1 hour show or movie on a friday or saturday nite? like I said, i would not have it any other way.
I very much doubt families are cooking dinner and feeding their children when I turn my tv on as I never eat dinner before 7.30pm.
I'm surprised with all the things you have to do that you are able to find the time to make comments in this forum.
Nobody was suggesting that you should binge on tv and I would still love to know where you get your information on bingeing being a mental and physical problem
Would also love to know your definition of what constitutes bingeing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can understand Digmor. Like him I prefer to watch a TV series unfold over a number of weeks. I enjoy the anticipation of the "next episode". As for bingeing, I can't do it. I find that no matter how much I like a programme I can only watch about a couple of episodes in a row before it starts to get boring if not repetitive. I also find that binge viewing of a series often leads me to the discovery of flaws in the plot, acting, directing even the set design that takes away from my enjoyment of the programme. No. The binge is just not for me. In fact I'd go so far as to say that even if I did get into streaming, I would still set up a schedule that calls for watching one episode a week of a series even if the series was all offered at once.
Horses for courses as they say. Good thing everyone gets to choose how and when they watch tv.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just received an email from Rogers saying I am eligible for the 12 months of Disney+promotion.
I'm wondering if it's worth subscribing, are there any good series? I'm not looking for super hero/Marvel stuff.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for the replies, it doesn't sound like I'd be watching much with it although I loved Hill Street Blues when it aired. What's the picture quality like, I'd think it would be pretty bad?
I suppose I could add it seeing as it's free for 12 months.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I find it interesting that some people complain about the price of Netflix but don't seem to mention Crave which ranges from 11.50$ to 23$ up to a whopping 29.90$ I have added the tax.
I just wish there was a way to subscribe to HBO without the rest.
Darn it, I just noticed that the prices I quoted were from March 2021. Likely cost more now.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was with Bell Satellite for many years during which i subscribed to TMN. It cost 20$ and for that I got 4 movie channels and 2 HBO channels.
It also had Shameless not sure which channel that was on.
I found it exceptional value but then Crave took over and ruined it, at least for me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Same here much of the time. When we did have TV it was B/W with just one or two channels.
Yep, same here, I didn't get my first colour tv until around 1977 and that was mainly so my little kids could see Sesame Street in colour. ( actually it was more likely for me haha)
I lived in Australia and it was behind North America as far as tv was concerned.
Even then there were only 3 commercial channels plus the ABC which is government funded , much like CBC used to be.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No commercials, no need to fit episodes into 22/42 minutes, shows that don't have to censor themselves, shows that don't have to appeal to to the widest possible audience, shows in foreign languages... But streaming isn't any better...
I love to be able to stream without commercials and have found so many great shows to watch and have a waiting list of things to watch a mile long.
I'm pretty much at the stage where I can't stand to watch the networks, even with fast forwarding, it still interrupts the flow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have Amazon but I take the view that's a perk of my Prime service which gets used a lot, also I use Tubi, with the VPN, Tubi US has more options. Antenna for Toronto/Buffalo stations, Pluto TV, again VPN gives more options. My Paid CBC Gem subscription is covered by the Google surveys I get every other day. CBC takes payments from the Google account.
I too have Amazon Prime for same reason as you, I also have Disney+ for 12 months free of charge, courtesy of Rogers, I also have CBC Gem but don't get paid for Amazon surveys.
I find it's worth the 5$ + tax each month.
I recently took Acorn for a month but cancelled after I had seen the series I wanted to see.
There's still a heck of a lot of stuff on Netflix I want to see.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have the same issue and it's not just Netflix. I can find no way to remove partially watched shows or movies from being shoved in my face with every app launch and they stick around for what seems like forever. They just don't get it that I don't want to watch those shows again. Ironically, I have the opposite problem with Crave. I can't find the series I'm half way through watching because it isn't shown in any continue watching type of list. It just lists one show that was completely watched months ago.
I just use rogers ignite and say, amazon prime bosch-legacy and it takes me straight to it.
But I always decide what I want to watch before turning the tv on.
I think the only one of my services that this doesn't work with is CBC Gem.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I never use voice for anything in search apps. Voice recognition is convenient but it's also a very invasive form of tracking. Once they have your voice print, companies can track you anywhere a microphone is present and ,just like cameras, you probably don't know they are there are most of the time.
I figure they'll get me sooner or later and the voice command is just so convenient.
Rogers ignite is the only thing I use voice on.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I never call Rogers on the phone, I find the chat works much better for me however, I do get calls from them at times wanting me to switch to their cell service so if what you say is true then they had my voice anyway.
I accepted the fact that 1984 had become reality a long time ago.:(

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are the calls from Rogers? I've had a few, and I ask them to confirm what services I already have - and they quickly hang up; so the calls I get are scams.
Yep, calls have definitely been from Rogers cell, the last call was only a few weeks ago. However after your comment I will adopt your method and next time ask about my existing services. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts