Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two PS3's. One in my family room which is for gaming, streaming and playing the occasional dvd or blu-ray disc. We have a second in the home theatre for Blu-ray playback, streaming and the occassional game.

I have a Dlink DNS-323 NAS device that has my music, video and photo files. Recently I installed TVersity on my computer.

To test things out, I edited some HD video from my Sony HDR-HC3 HDV camcorder. I produced some clips in HD and then tried to stream to my PSs's.

HD playback at 1920 x 1080 on my home theatre PS3 was flawless. I had problems however, with the second one (the family room). The video was jerky and I figured it was because it was wireless, so I spent an hour running ethernet from the second PS3 to a switch.

Once the second PS3 was wired, the PQ was perfect. The result is I can now stream HD Video from my NAS to my PS3's via TVersity on my computer flawlessly!

Regarding wireless, I found video playback was fine with 1280 x 720 or 720 x 480 playback. It was 1920 x 1080 clips that encountered problems.

My conclusion: Hardwire your PS3 to your network if you want to stream HD video playback from elsewhere on your network.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For the record I had the same experience with streaming audio and picture files from my laptop to the PS3 over the wireless network through Windows Media Player. Performance was slow and unreliable. Plugged it in to the router and bingo no problemo.

Also note my online game play over the wireless network just fine.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an Extreme Wireless N router but never had any wireless issues until HD Video.

I often would stream photos and music at the same time via wireless without a problem so that gives you some sense of the capabilities.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frankly I don't think the N vs. G router would make a big difference unless you had many wireless streams going to multiple devices. Previously, I conneced wirelessly via my out of the box 40GB PS3 which I assume is G. now its wired.

·
Registered
181 Posts
hugh, have you tried streaming content using Vista Media Centre? I was very close to purchasing a XBox 360 until I discovered this weekend that the PS3 can stream content as a Media Extender too.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Media Centre is the same as enabling Windows Media player to share media and yes I have tried it. Search other threads for the discussion of WMP and the PS3.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I can't stream recorded HD stream to the kitchen PC with wireless G USB adapter either without being choppy (also tried a PCI wireless and same thing). SD contents everything was fine. The connection is perfect with 100% signal/quality.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I discussed this on another thread but the short answers.

• PS3 can't playback a lot of media types so TVersity does the transcoding
  • PS3 always errors out when trying to connect with UPnP server

Like so many things in our tech world the promise and reality is far apart.

My whole take on UPnP servers is that its mostly crap and seldom works. TVersity seems to work!

Having said that, lets please stay on topic!

·
Registered
4 Posts
just want to share my expirence.

Don't mean to revive an old post, but I recently purchased the Dlink NAS and was successful in simply using the UPNP to stream to the PS3.... however only some video content in the nas was identified by the PS3... and even when it is playable, it was choppy through the wireless network.

I have yet to understand why though... ie both files are avi

·
Registered
656 Posts
and even when it is playable, it was choppy through the wireless network. I have yet to understand why though... ie both files are avi
Were these videos HD? There's an interesting discussion over in the Digital Deals forum discussing NAS devices and bitrate (see the dicsussion from this post onward).

If the videos were HD then it's possible they require more throughput than your NAS and/or wireless network can handle. If they are SD, then I still wouldn't rule out the network, but it could just as easily be the files themselves -- something unusual about the audio or video codecs required perhaps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thinking about DNS-323

I was thinking about picking up a DNS-323, but have a question about the way it works with TVersity.

Currently I have TVersity running on my PC connected wirelessly to my PS3, and it works great. If I add the DNS-323 and put it on a wired gigabit switch with the PS3, while sharing the DNS-323 with TVersity on my wirelessly PC, will shared media have to go to the PC first and then back down to the PS3? Or will it be transferred directly on the wired gigabit switch?

The reason I am asking this, is because currently streaming HD video wirelessly doesn't work well, as mentioned before. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
PS3 with HP MediaSmart Home Server

I'm using my PS3 (just got it for Christmas) with my HP Media Smart Home Server. It works flawlessly so far. I was using wireless for a day but the video playback had moments of freezing. Ran a CAT5e to my linksys router, and so far the playback of about a dozen movies at 1080p are flawless. The router only does 100Mbps on the switch ports but at this point in time I see no reason to go to Gig. I copied a copied a movies to the PS3 hard drive and playback from there is also flawless.

I really like playing music, and then playing a photo slide show on top. We had a wing ding at the house here Dec 27 and it made an excellent contributor to the atmosphere.

On the HP Media Server I just had to turn on streaming. No UPnP. The streaming works great but I wish PS3 supported Windows networking (SMB shares) so I could copy from PS3 to server. Also wish there was a way to turn the PS3 into a DVD/BlueRay ripper, and then copy back to the server store.

I bought a Zensonic (now renamed to Ziova) for way more than a PS3 cost last year and it was a piece of crap. The Sony PS3 rocks so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
video and wireless

When I stream video from my PC to my PS3 via the wireless connection i seem to get choppy video for all 1920 x 1080 clips.

I found video playback was fine with 1280 x 720 or 720 x 480 playback.

Is my only option to use a wired connection?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts