Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I wasn't going to post this problem since there is already so much about the SW44 here, but I've been searching the forum to help my problem for the last five days or so and I am coming up empty handed.

I recently purchased a Dish 500 (I think anyways, it's the one with 2 LNB's, and the SW44 switch), a 6131 receiver, and a 9241 receiver. I set up the dish, with the four lines from the LNBs to the dish, where I have three lines coming in the house (the switch is outside).

When I first started the instal, I tested every line (the four from the dish, to the three in the house) using the 6131 and all get signal strength from 80-90% from the right satellite. I then hooked up the switch and after some fighting I finally managed to get the switch to work properly with that reciever.

I then hooked up the 9241 and since then everything has gone down hill. The majority of the time the Check Switch test show no switch and no satellite signal. Occasionally (maybe once a day) the switch will be recognized but then it never recognizes sat 82. I've tried returning everything to the way it was when I got just the 6131 to work, and it still hasn't worked. I'm really not sure what to do next.

Also, because of my location, a professional installer is really not an option. There is just no one around that will do it for a decent price, so I'm on my own on this. Any help, no matter how silly it might seem, would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
So your installation looks like this;

You never mentioned the Power Inserter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, that's my setup, with the power inserter on port 1, going to the 6131, and port 2 and 3 going to the 9241. I actually just read on another post Pinza where you suggested checking the ac adaptor for the power inserter. I tried that and now I am getting this on the 6131

Port 1 2 3
Sat X 91 X
Trans X X X
Switch: SW21-3SAT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, ran another check switch and it came back with nothing now, even though I didn't change anything. I'm starting to think that the cable between the power inserter and the switch is not actually running the power, so I'm off to try a different, shorter cable. I'll post the results in a few minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, that took longer than I thought. I ran a 6ft cable to the power inserter and another 6 ft cable from the inserter to the 6131. It got about 85% signal on 91, but it would come in and out, and the check switch test still came back with nothing. I retested the lines from the dish and discovered one of the 82 cables had stopped working, so I'm off to replace that, but after that I'm once again out of ideas.

One more quick question about this. Since I obviously need to change the from the power inserter to the switch, I need to place it somewhere else which is a very inconvient spot. Do I need to run a receiver from it, or can I leave it open and have the 6131 and 9241 on port 2 3 and 4 only?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You can use the Power Inserter on Port #1 just like in the picture I posted.

I would also suggest that after running so many "Checks Switch" tests, to run one with NO cables on the receivers, just to allow them to revert back to a default state. Then connect cables and try again.

If that does not work, I would go back to the basics again;

Ensure the Dish is Skewed correctly.
Connect line from 91 LNBF directly to the 6131 (NO Switch etc)
Peak Signal.
Add 2nd LNBF.
Connect all 4 lines, 2 from each LNBF.
Connect receivers.
Run Check Switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the problem is solved. Thanks for the help Pinza! Ends up it was the bad cable to 82, and a bad cable from the inserter to the switch. The strange part is that when I first tested everything, the cable from 82 was working, so I'm not sure why it stopped. Anyways, I'm off to enjoy some HD TV! Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Glad to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts