Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent problem that Shaw has been unable to figure out the cause. I hope I can explain it right.
1. Sometimes soemone will call my house they will get the voicemail without any rings.
2. They hang up and call right back, it will ring once, then it sounds like a fax machine picks up. I don't own a fax machine and never have owned one.
3. They hang up again and call back and it will ring through.

This problem has happened since I have had Shaw's digital phone service, since the first month they launched it in Calgary. I used to think it was related to something Telus's phone system, that I used to have before I switched to Shaw, but I have since moved into a brand new house. Telus service has never been installed in this house, so I guess it has nothing to do with that.

Has anyone experianced anything like this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
This also happened on our alarm system. I actually had a tech come in, and he even called the alarm company to fix it. Basically all we had to do was type in some code to disable that feature. The feature is for some sort of remote diagnostics if I am not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
I had this exact same problem about two years ago...it had to do with the alarm checking the phone line for a dial tone (and forcing the line to think it was busy) it was really odd. At that time I didn't have alarm monitoring so I just unplugged the phone line, but since then have re-plugged it back in as the alarm is monitored once again, but the problem hasn't come back, so all I know was it was related to the phone line on the alarm, but I guess it fixed itself.

I want to say I had the arris modem at that time, but it might have been the motorola 5220 back then.

Shawguy

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. It makes sense now. Maybe I should call my alarm company before i call Shaw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Phone your alarm company after you have made an appointment for a service call.

Tell them you need a service call out to your house because unbeknown to you there is a problem, their phone techs can fix it, but sometimes they disconnect the alarm system which then the alarm company thinks someone has cut your phone line, alerting police. That way they know. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts