Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting from a couple of weeks ago, I found that the Media Center of my PC will shut down automatically after maybe 30 to 60 minutes when I watch TV on MC. The TV will be black out, and my receiver will change to TV input, not PC input for computer. And all these happen automatically too.

I have to switch back to PC input on receiver, the start the MC again. I checked the power setting, my desktop's setting is NEVER turn off the monitor and computer. So I am very confused. What's the reason for MC turning off automatically?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Anything in event viewer at those times?

Another guess is that the screensaver kicks in and is crashing or using a resolution that your receiver doesn't like. See if there is any screensaver set up.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Media Center will (by default) put the HTPC to sleep when not in use (and not recording anything). All the modern HTPC software I've used will do this (i.e. SageTV did it too). So, it's a feature - not a bug.

That said, your PC should promptly wake up when it gets keyboard/mouse/remote control input. It should even wake up when you try and connect to it via a Xbox 360 extender (since they send a "magic packet" to wake the sleeping PC).

I recommend ensuring that wake-on-lan is correctly configured in your BIOS and that you embrace the feature since it will save you money on electricity, and has no apparent down side (once properly configured, of course).

edit: do you mean that the PC will go to sleep (S3) or does it actually shut down, or do you mean that Media Center (the application) quits?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree with pnear & 57

set all power saving (monitor, sleep, hibernation) to "never"

and select screen saver "none"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for response.

I have checked, all power saving (monitor, sleep, hibernation) are set to "never"

and select screen saver "none".

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hmmm, It still shuts down?

perhaps you might try another media center app.

I wonder which one(c my sig)

at the very least if you do install NPVR and it still shuts down then maybe, geez i donno it's in your BIOS?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use Windows Media Center of WIN7.

When I watch BD movies with PowerDVD, TMT5 or Media Player Classic, it won't turn off screen.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
What's the reason for MC turning off automatically?
Clarification, Is MC shutting down or is the whole computer going to sleep or is the computer shutting down?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I found the cause.
I use a Bluetooth wireless keyboard for iPad on my PC. I think when the keyboard goes to sleep, the Media Center closes too. However, if I watch movies with PowerDVD or TMT, or Media Player Classic, they won't close.

Now I turned the keyboard off, switched to another different kind Bluetooth keyboard. That weird thing never happened. Media Center plays TV for hours without shut down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts